Thread: allmost nothing works...

Beans

allmost nothing works...

I've been trying to study linux ubuntu for couple weeks now but got allmost nowhere and it's pretty frustrating.
    I downloaded tuxguitar since i am a guitarist, but no midi wont work, the program crashes once in a while (mostly while you are trying to shut it down it just freezes), i looked into google, found help but it didn't work.
    I downloaded and installed gtkpod, but no, it says error to write while trying to add songs to my ipod and it cant decode my mp3 files, says it's some error again.
    I have the latest drivers but still this system says video card drivers isn't installed everytime i start my computer again and i can't install since when tried, my computer says they are in there already. and when writing text for example in facebook it's painfully slow, as scrolling up and down internet sites.

Those are the main problems i have, pretty annoying in everyday use.. since i really would need some guitar tablature editor because of my hobby and band. and yeah, i wuold like to put songs in my ipod

is the problem in my hardware or what?
    I have nvidia GT8600
    2 GB ram
    Intel dual core 1,86

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: allmost nothing works...

Hello and welcome

midi

Is there a nvidia graphics card in system > administration > hardware drivers? I believe NVIDIA 177 is the one you want.

For your iPod try a few different apps Rhythmbox, Banshee, Amarok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For the Ipod I would use Amarok or Banshee, look here

Graphic card: the right package for your card is nvidia-glx-180 here
    After installing it you must go to hardware drivers, activate it and reboot
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

For your iPod I'd recommend gtkpod-aac,It's what I use with my iPod. Install mp3gain and aacgain and search Synaptic for the other converters requested by gtkpod-aac.

For midi, install timidity.

For your GPU, Use what is said above.
    Laptop: i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz (~3.7GHz); 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz; Nvidia 780M 4GB; Crucial M4 256GB SSD; Ubuntu 13.10 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.
    Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448

Beans

I have tried Banshee with my ipod since i listen to my music with it, it sees my ipod but the songs inside it/don't let me add anything in it, it just shows it has some data inside it but don't know what.

I have to check into timidity soon thanks about that.

and about the nvidia, i have the 180 version installed that you recommended.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did you activate the drivers?
    I had the right version of the drivers installed at first boot, but i had to activate them before the graphic card actually worked
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans

Timidity didn't work. tuxguitar just tells me that MIDI system unavailable. It's installed on my computer, i did everything the instructions told, it installed just fine.. but don't work. i rebooted after the installation. but still no effect.
    I don't what to do anymore with this OS it sure isn't as stable and great i was told to programs crashing and stuff not working after installation and writing is slow as h*ll. tho i have tried absolutely every intsructions i could get my hands on these past couple weeks.

And since i don't have windows anymore (i believed that i could use this as a primary operating system and deleted Vista since i don't play games much) se i am stuck now with this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well don`t panic, we`ll get it sorted ......... after sleep tommorow.