Thread: Microphone Blues on System76 Starling netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Microphone Blues on System76 Starling netbook

Heya, folks.

I've had my Starling netbook for several months now, and have never been able to get the microphone operating correctly. I've tried a number of proposed solutions I've found here and elsewhere, but the darned thing simply will *not* record audio.

Does anybody have a 'silver bullet' fix for this issue? I've seen at least one reviewer indicate that she also couldn't get the microphone working no matter what, and I find it disheartening.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Microphone Blues on System76 Starling netbook

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hamlin View Post
    Heya, folks.

I've had my Starling netbook for several months now, and have never been able to get the microphone operating correctly. I've tried a number of proposed solutions I've found here and elsewhere, but the darned thing simply will *not* record audio.

Does anybody have a 'silver bullet' fix for this issue? I've seen at least one reviewer indicate that she also couldn't get the microphone working no matter what, and I find it disheartening.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Have had the same problem and am also interested in solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Got this problem taken care of by moving my critical data to my downstairs server, smoking the drive on the netbook, and installing Jaunty instead of Netbook Remix. The microphone worked just fine after that.

Beans

well, thats not much of a fix. but it does indicate the problem is with the netbook remix editions default install, and its obviously fixable if its just a software misconfiguration somewhere.

i also have a starling netbook and just tried to use the mic for the first time. not working. looking into it.

EDIT: n/m seems to be working fine now.
    Last edited by Psy-Krow; April 7th, 2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: update