Thread: RAM not being recognized

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

RAM not being recognized

I got some more memory for my lappy recently to upgrade it from 2 Gb to 4 Gb. Once it was installed, I checked System Monitor, but it said I only had 2.3 Gb (an increase of about 600 Mb, from 1.6). I did some searching around and found out that due to PAE (or something) that 32 bit OS's can only handle up to 3-3.5 Gb, so I took one of the two 2 Gb sticks out and replaced it with the prev. 1 Gb stick, to make 3 Gb. However, System Monitor still says I only have 2.3 Gb. Why?
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: RAM not being recognized

Just a guess that the rest is reserved for video memory. Sure sounds like a lot though. I have 4GB on my desktop running 32bit XP and 32 bit Ubuntu and a little over 3GB of memory is all either one see.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Distro

If that's the case, is there a way to return it to "regular" memory?
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe. Go into BIOS setup and see if video memory is something you can adjust.

Another thing I forgot earlier - Check you motherboard specs. Some motherboards have limit to the amount of ram they will use.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Distro

I remember hearing that about the motherboard, so I checked the specs of my laptop off Gateway's site, and it said it can support up to 4 Gb of Memory. Under BIOS, it has two sections that list memory; Physical memory and Base memory, I believe. I can't edit them, they're just values that show up. As far as I can tell, there isn't anywhere to edit video memory...

The link here contains the specs for my lappy's motherboard: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...6210Rsp2.shtml
    Sudo make me a sandwich!