Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual vs Quad

Beans

Question Dual vs Quad

AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - $92

vs

AMD Phenom 9650 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - $109

I just want Ubuntu to boot fast and run/ load FireFox, Gimp, and Picasa quickly. My budget is less than $450.

Other hardware I am looking at:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual vs Quad

I'd go with the phenom II X2. For what you say you wish to run on it, it will give you really good performance. Most programs don't make use of the multiple cores unless compiled for it, so unless you're going to be doing a lot of heavy data processing (like video conversion) a dual core will happily run your applications for you with horsepower ready to go when the OS does its stuff, or when you have several apps going.

Besides, I hear the original Phenoms have heat problems. Not sure about that, though.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Afraid to say it all depends on the software writers. If they write efficient programs that run more that one thread at a time then and only then will a Dual or a Quad core processor start to work at it's full potential. That is now even taking into effect if you are going to put 32bit software on to this system. As then the processor is only emulating 32bit and not it's natural habitat of 64bit.

Sorry for the negative thoughts, man. But on a lighter note, I would go for the Quad as there is not that much more cost between the two.

Beans

I heard a bit of a bad reputation regarding Phenom (I). Besides with the right MOBO and BIOS you could unlock to two lock cores of that Phenom II into a quad core.
    Wasting your life is a murder!

Beans

Buy dual core and save yourself the cash. There are few applications that run on four cores. Most people don't need the extra computing horsepower - but if you're into serious gaming, that might be a reason to get a quad core PC instead.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Buy dual core and save yourself the cash. There are few applications that run on four cores. Most people don't need the extra computing horsepower - but if you're into serious gaming, that might be a reason to get a quad core PC instead.
    ? computing-power?
    Wasting your life is a murder!

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    ^This, modern computers are massively overpowered anyway and verry few applications can take advantage of a dual core CPU, let alone a quad, games included. Prittymuch the only thing I know of which can use 4 and more cores are raytracers.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Neither. Propus quad-core, $99. Better performance of Phenom II with four cores of the other one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-706-_-Product

Beans

I agree, go with the dual-core. "Multi-Core" is a marketing term until application developers and/or compiler writers actually make use of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If you're running mostly single threaded apps, a 3.0 GHz dual core will beat the pants off of a 2.3 GHz quad core because you're only using 1 of the cores. The only things more cores will help with are multi-threaded apps, and if you're running a heck of a lot of apps all at once.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast