Thread: mad wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

mad wifi

i really need to get my wifi working on my destop .I bought a card installed it and can not get it to work . a friend told me about mad wifi but the source forge repository is obsulete . i have tried and failed to download and install mad wifi . Is it possible to get wifi working on a ubuntu desktop? if so how can i do this

Beans

Re: mad wifi

u tried ndiswrapper?
    what card did you buy?
    probably should have made sure it would work before you bought it.

Beans
    Distro

I did ask at computor canada for a card that works and was sold on the linksystem gnet . but can`t get it to work . the install disk has vista and xp drivers only and there support says i am on my own ?

Beans
    Distro

I did try wicd and ndiswrapper both times I lost my lanline I even tried a fresh install of off ubuntu9.04 disc hoping there is some code there that will install when the new hardware was detected but no such luck

Beans
    Distro

I really need to go to work now so i will check back latter when i return home

Beans

Re: madwifi

Chances are, if you're running Ubuntu 9.04, there is a driver for your card available in the repository. Check the restricted drivers manager in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. You'll find drivers in there for your video card, and probably your wifi card. You'll need an internet connection in order to use that Hardware Drivers program.

Lemme know what you see in there.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro

Re: madwifi

okay i can run a lan line over to my ubuntu box yes i am running ubuntu 9.04 that would be great if it is already there . thats only because i have not got a good understanding of how to download linux files and instaling them or compiling the kernel ? i will try this saterday for my ubuntun pc is 100 kilometers away my zandros eeepc no problems i am using free internet to make this post i hope the next post will be solved . lets see what happens saterday . thanks for your advice .
    Last edited by geogur; September 23rd, 2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro

i have restricted drivers installed for my dual head 17" 20" lcd displayes . so iwas there already does this mean i have already have downloaded the drivers now i need to find and install them .

Beans
    Hidden!

It might help if you posted what wireless network card you have. If you're not sure, open a terminal and type:

Code:
    lsusb
    (if its a USB dongle)

Code:
    lspci
    (if its an internal card)

copy paste the output here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wireless cards are not all standard; they all use different chipsets. Many wireless chipsets work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu, but it seems like yours doesn't.

If you want to return that card and get one that works out-of-the-box with Ubuntu, you should do some research online for what cards are available at the store and which ones are reported to work out-of-the-box.

Alternatively, Linux Emporium sells one that they guarantee will work.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.