Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking For a Haiku-Like Clone? Check Out PC/OS!

Beans

Re: Looking For a Haiku-Like Clone? Check Out PC/OS!

Quote Originally Posted by free10 View Post
    There there are a whole series of reasons Haiku should out perform and why a unix or Linux system can not be a clone of it or even a distant cousin of Haiku or BeOS.
    I'm intrigued....

The multithreading system of the OS and the apps makes it fast yes and also provides other advantages.
    Makes apps feel faster, it can't actually make them run faster, it just use better scheduling, etc to make everything more responsive to users. For example any well threaded program will always be responsive because you can make sure nothing is blocking the UI threads.

Haiku uses a "micro kernel" which the last I heard a few years back was only around a tiny 60mb in size and once again means advantages including speed. Linus said the other day that the Linux kernel is now basically bloated or bloatware, or the total opposite of Haiku's tiny micro kernel.
    The core Linux kernel is 3.3M (a full fedora one not my stripped down one that is 1.9M), and the sum of it fedoras modules is 79M (again mine is just 29M), so 60M is not great. The main arguments for mirco kernel are stability & security, performance of micro kernels is hurt by IPC (given the need of all kernels to perform on multiple cores this is less of an issue) and lack of module reuse (if you have 2 drivers they cannot share code while running) resulting in a larger foot print not a smaller one!
    Linus never said the kernel was bloatware, this is very differnt from the kernel being bloated. p.s I have only seen one attempt at a micro-kernel development and things didn't go well and while apple apparently run a hybrid kernel, I think you you could call the linux kernel hybrid as it's modularity is similar to a micro-kernel despite being a macro kernel.

The BFS the same and was opened sourced by Be Inc and released before they shut down along with some other code. This helps with speed and has other advantages too.
    is BFS really up there with modern filesystems such as reiser4, btfs and ofc ZFS?

By the way, if this hasn't already been posted. This distro will not run beos programs.
    Given that haiku is OSS would a wine like program be possible if it takes off allowing beos programs to run on linux?

Beans

BEOS programs could be ported to Linux by rewriting them as Linux programs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    BEOS programs could be ported to Linux by rewriting them as Linux programs.
    What would be the point?

Odds are a port of BeOS would be completely meaningless, as odds are quite high that a native Linux version of a software already exists. I say "odds" because I cannot vouch every single program written for BeOS.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    This is so far Anti-Haiku it's ridiculous. Neither Be nor Haiku would ever release a server version.
    Why not? A streaming media OS that supports every multi-media type out there with FS and kernel tuning for basically multi-threading multimedia efficiently? Sounds like one of the best candidates for a streaming server I've ever heard of.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Why not? A streaming media OS that supports every multi-media type out there with FS and kernel tuning for basically multi-threading multimedia efficiently? Sounds like one of the best candidates for a streaming server I've ever heard of.
    Because the original BeOS philosophy was for Desktop, and Desktop only. A streaming server would be out of range.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Because the original BeOS philosophy was for Desktop, and Desktop only. A streaming server would be out of range.
    Out of range because of resources, or ethics behind their pholosophy?
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Is this the same thing as PCLinuxOS? I can't find a download for PC/OS.
    Edit: Never mind, I found it. It was not easy.
    Last edited by oboedad55; September 28th, 2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: mistake
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Out of range because of resources, or ethics behind their pholosophy?
    Ethics behind their philosophy. They believed that you could make a really good product if you focused only on that product filling one function.

Beans

The new version of ZevenOs is based off Xubuntu 9.10. There is a new Haiku theme and numerous interface improvements. You could be forgiven for thinking it was BEOS!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345