Thread: How do i compile/install SiS Drivers? I have video problem with the current Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation How do i compile/install SiS Drivers? I have video problem with the current Drivers

Hi,

I have a laptop with SiS 661fx and the problem is that the current installed drivers sucks 100% because the screen stucks and i can't scroll down to webpages or see any video from youtube for example or with any video player,even VLC or Totem.

The installed driver package is the following: xserver-xorg-video-sis package

I found a sis wikipage with information about sis gpus on linux,and i found some drivers named "Winischhofer resurected"
    http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/~linu...nSourceDrivers

From what i read there they supposed to be one of the best sis drivers,and i can't wait to install them.

The problem is...

How do i compile drivers? I found some info on the net about compiling with some commands but i didn't understand thing and the commands doesn't work.

Can someone explain me almost step by step?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How do i compile/install SiS Drivers? I have video problem with the current Drive

bump? :S

Beans
    Distro

Re: How do i compile/install SiS Drivers? I have video problem with the current Drive

Second bump...

On the third bumb i will go nuts and i'll get out naked screaming "I NEED LINUX HELP DAMMIT"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Backup your data first. If you can't install graphics drivers without extra help, then I'm sure you can't recover your earlier graphics drivers if the new ones stuff up.

Install the kernel-headers-generic package. Install the xorg-dev package. Install build-essential.

Open a terminal and navigate it to the directory with the source code of the driver you downloaded - or you can use the "nautilus-open-terminal" package (which puts an "Open in Terminal" entry into your right-click menu after you log in again).

Run the commands that it says to run. If it says to run a command as root, put "sudo" in front of it. If it says to run the "su" command, instead run "sudo -i".

In future, don't just say "the commands didn't work"; tell us what error message was given, there's usually a simple explanation.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; September 23rd, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Well thank you very much for your response on this shithole crap site but did you see the news?

I ain't DID ANYTHING! hahaha yes,i'm a badass lucky son of a bitch,after HOURS of searching on the net about how to compile a fυcking driver package,the solution came from the sky!

I found precompiled deb package and i installed it smoooooth and fast baby

hehehe but again,no 2d acceleration enabled because when it's enabled if i open youtube tab the damn thing would throw me back to the login screen.

Well.... again,i ain't give a shίt,thank you very much

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrfyGrumpyBear View Post
    Well thank you very much for your response on this shithole crap site but did you see the news?

I ain't DID ANYTHING! hahaha yes,i'm a badass lucky son of a bitch,after HOURS of searching on the net about how to compile a fυcking driver package,the solution came from the sky!

I found precompiled deb package and i installed it smoooooth and fast baby

hehehe but again,no 2d acceleration enabled because when it's enabled if i open youtube tab the damn thing would throw me back to the login screen.

Well.... again,i ain't give a shίt,thank you very much
    PLEASE can you tell mee what package do you download