Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icelandic acute accents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Icelandic acute accents

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8014668#post8014668

Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and have a problem with acute accents (like á, é, í, ó, ú, and ý).

My keyboard has always worked well until recently when I started configuring the settings. After pressing 'Reset to defaults' in System>Preferences>Keyboard, the acute accent settings disabled themselves. I tried the Spanish keyboard layout but it didn't have acute accents either.
    I haven't changed anything in layout options.
    I'm using Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 keyboard.

Please respond if you know any possible answers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rannuG; September 27th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Icelandic acute accents

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my keyboard issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Which language do you currently have configured in System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Icelandic. There are five variants: Iceland, Iceland Dvorak, Iceland eliminate dead keys, Iceland Macintosh and Iceland Sun dead keys. None of these seem to have acute accents.
    I'm using the default Iceland.
    Last edited by rannuG; September 21st, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I just tested it from here and I can't actually see where the acute accents are meant to be!

When typing in Windows, where on the keyboard would they be located?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

On the Icelandic keyboard it would be the one with the "´" and "^" buttons on it. It also used to work on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by rannuG; September 24th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm using the United States keyboard and can do á é í ó ú as well as other things £ € ¥ . I set the compose key by going to System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts > Layout Options > Compose key. I selected the Left Win key but you have other choices. I then printed out the compose key sequences from http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806...dq6q2n7?a=view I seldom look at it though as the symbols I use seem quite intuitive: [Compose Key][~][n]=ñ, [Compose]["][u]=ü. It doesn't matter in which order you put the characters in: é is [Compose][e]['].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It would be very nice if I could reset it to the way it was. I could always press one specific button (on US keyboard it's the ':' button) and a vowel.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rannuG View Post
    It would be very nice if I could reset it to the way it was. I could always press one specific button (on US keyboard it's the ':' button) and a vowel.

Any ideas?
    Well, I have an idea but that's about all. I haven't gotten into it as the compose key sequences I described have been adequate for my uses -- but it sounds like the : key was set as the third level key although my keyboard layout options don't give me that as one of my choices. Here's an excerpt from the keyboard layouts help file. I haven't been there myself so let me know how you do:

A third level key allows you to obtain a third character from a key, in the same way that pressing Shift with a key produces a different character to pressing the key alone.

Use this group to select a key you want to act as a third level modifier key.

Pressing the third-level key and Shift produces a fourth character from a key.

The third and fourth level characters for your keyboard layout are shown in the Keyboard Indicator Layout View Window.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast