Thread: Installing on External hard-drive(not flash drive)

Beans

Installing on External hard-drive(not flash drive)

HI, I want to install Ubuntu on my IBM Thinkpad R51 (A bit old I know) and since it doeasnt have much HDD space i want to install it on my external HDD.
    I have a 500GB Trekstor EXternal HDD and I want to know if I can install Ubuntu on it without using all the space

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Installing on External hard-drive(not flash drive)

Quote Originally Posted by GGfpc View Post
    HI, I want to install Ubuntu on my IBM Thinkpad R51 (A bit old I know) and since it doeasnt have much HDD space i want to install it on my external HDD.
    I have a 500GB Trekstor EXternal HDD and I want to know if I can install Ubuntu on it without using all the space

Thank you in advance
    Ubuntu is very small. Couple of gigs. The system will be slower since it is external USB or Firewire im assuming? esata would be faster. However just boot from a live CD and go through the installation, simply select the external drive as the one to use as the system drive. Create the partitions to your liking.

-Braeden

Beans

The only problem is that i dont have a live cd and on the country where i live they arent handing them out.

BTW. can someone show me a picture of how does a partitioned external HDD show up on windows

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by GGfpc View Post
    The only problem is that i dont have a live cd and on the country where i live they arent handing them out.

BTW. can someone show me a picture of how does a partitioned external HDD show up on windows

Thank you
    Can you not download it?
    A drive would show up under "My Computer" As whatever it is named as. Under windows of course.
    -Braeden

Beans

Yes I can

PS: Wont the HDD Aapear like if there was two devicces connected ( like when you partition your internal HDD)

PS2: And wont my boot times get worse if i have to boot with the HDD connected