Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disable password entry on wakeup from suspend?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Disable password entry on wakeup from suspend?

Quote Originally Posted by swoody View Post
    Did you just upgrade from 9.04 or did you do a fresh install of 9.10? Go back into gconf-editor, and double-check that the setting I mentioned above is still selected. Try also going to System>Preferences>Screensaver and make sure the 'Lock screen when screensaver is active' option is not selected. Then test it out. If this still doesn't work, please let us know
    Yes I did a clean-install (twice) of 9.10, and in System>Preferences>Screensaver > Lock I checked the 'use_screensaver_settings' option. The 'Lock screen when screensaver is active' option is unchecked in System>Preferences>Screensaver.

Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    There is a graphic way to do this if you are lazy like me. First, go to System, Preferences, Main menu on the upper panel. That gives you the list of applications shown in the applications menu. Click on system tools, and enable configuration editor. Now, when you go to your Applications menu, you can scroll down to system tools, and open configuration editor. From there, you have like 4 choices. One of them is applications. Scroll down to gnome-power-manager, and open that. Below is a choice called "lock". Open that. Uncheck suspend and gnome_keyring_suspend. That will fix the problem. I have to do this every time I install Ubuntu, because I suspend the laptop I use at work all the time.
    This didn't work either.

#######

So far I've tried every every combination of settings in gnome-power-manager > lock and System>Preferences>Screensaver. In Screensaver I even unchecked the 'Activate screensaver when computer is idle' option, but upon wakeup the screensaver still shows (Hypertorus) and the password window still shows up. Right now all settings are unchecked.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well here's what I finally did to get it to work:

1. Installed Ubuntu Tweak.
    2. In Ubuntu Tweak:
    Security > Disable Lock Screen == (check)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also needed Ubuntu Tweak to do this.
    So, it is clearly possible, but there should be a way without bringing in that beast of an application, feature wise.
    || My blog ||

Beans

Hi,

I've needed to download Ubuntu Tweaks in order to disable password entry on wakeup from suspend.

The computer is a fresh install on a Toshiba Portege R600.

Regards

Paul

Beans

Is it possible that gconf-editor changes different settings depending on how it's invoked? The screen-saver password issue was driving me nuts and I thought I had tried everything. On a terminal window if I entered:
    sudo gconf-editor
    it seemed the settings were different than when I followed dndrich's instructions posted here on Nov 1 on how to get the configuration editor on the main menu. Once I followed those instructions, launched the configuration editor from the menu, found the settings under /apps/gnome-power-management/lock and set blank-screen and use_screen_saver_settings to true (checked) and unchecked all the others, it finally worked. Of course I had the screen saver preference locked set as false.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by photo_ted View Post
    Is it possible that gconf-editor changes different settings depending on how it's invoked? The screen-saver password issue was driving me nuts and I thought I had tried everything. On a terminal window if I entered:
    sudo gconf-editor
    it seemed the settings were different than when I followed dndrich's instructions posted here on Nov 1 on how to get the configuration editor on the main menu. Once I followed those instructions, launched the configuration editor from the menu, found the settings under /apps/gnome-power-management/lock and set blank-screen and use_screen_saver_settings to true (checked) and unchecked all the others, it finally worked. Of course I had the screen saver preference locked set as false.
    well, anything changes depending which user you run it as.

If you run gconf-editor with "sudo" you are starting it as root user, not your own user. And of course every user has his own settings.
    (by the way you should never run graphical applications with "sudo", use "gksudo" instead. "sudo" doesn't work correctly for graphical applications and may in some cases result in running things as root but with your normal user's home directory and configuration files, changing the file's ownership to root while doing so).

Anyway, I'm still having this same problem myself, I've disabled the lock in every possible place, both as my own user and as root. And still the screen is locked on suspend.. Which is quite annoying, at least, and even stranger considering that changing the lock dialog theme through gconf-editor (as my own user) works just fine, it's just that disabling the lock doesn't work...

edit: never mind. The problem seems to be related to the Indicator-applet-session, since suspending by any other means works correctly, while suspending with this applet locks the screen regardless of the settings in gconf and in /etc/default/acpi-support...
    Last edited by mcduck; January 7th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by donsy View Post
    This worked for 9.04 but doesn't work in 9.10. Anyone have any ideas?
    I've found it sort of works. If I do a Fn-F1 it will come back without asking for a password, also if I just close the lid. If, however, I use the indicator-applet (where you would shutdown or switch users) it comes back to a screen saver and kicking it off, asks for a password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Check this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1468732&page=2

The piece

"launch gconf-editor (alt-f2 --> type gconf-editor --> click run).

go to apps->gnome-power-manager->lock->check use_screensaver_settings"

of advice solved the problem for me.

Beans

Arrgh! Problem is back after 10.10 maverick upgrade.
    Suspending using the menu from the indicator appplet leads to password prompt on resume.
    And on my desktop PC, suspend button on keyboard does not work, so I have to use the menu.

Any new suggestions for either problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12