Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Install Order - Ubuntu, XP and 7

Beans

Re: Install Order - Ubuntu, XP and 7

Ok, thanks, i'm going to try that method now. I know if you install XP then win7 then ubuntu it will work. as you said, win7 and xp do not show up in grub menu. I would like win7 and xp to show up on the Grub menu so i'll see if turning the boot flag off will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I believe if you want both Windows partitions to show up on GRUB you have to manually add them because GRUB only automatically adds the Windows 'vista boot loader' which then contains all of your Windows partitions... or at least it ought to I thought. I forget how exactly to manually add your partitions - and it will be slightly different now than when I did it because Ubuntu 9.10 uses GRUB2 which is slightly different. Look around though for how to manually add each individual partition to GRUB's list. On a side note I am not certain why the vista loader isn't recognizing both of your Windows partitions I am pretty sure I have gotten it to work with XP/Vista in the past... perhaps Win7 has a slightly different version of the 'vista boot loader'?
    "Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading." - Quintus Septimius Tertullianus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dentharg View Post
    Win XP, then Win 7, then Ubuntu.
    Windows 7 should detect Win XP and Ubuntu will detect both.
    this way grub will take over
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.[Albert Einstein]
    http://www.tuxgeek.org
    Where there is a shell there is a way !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Perturbed Penguin View Post
    I believe if you want both Windows partitions to show up on GRUB you have to manually add them because GRUB only automatically adds the Windows 'vista boot loader' which then contains all of your Windows partitions... or at least it ought to I thought. I forget how exactly to manually add your partitions - and it will be slightly different now than when I did it because Ubuntu 9.10 uses GRUB2 which is slightly different. Look around though for how to manually add each individual partition to GRUB's list. On a side note I am not certain why the vista loader isn't recognizing both of your Windows partitions I am pretty sure I have gotten it to work with XP/Vista in the past... perhaps Win7 has a slightly different version of the 'vista boot loader'?
    You install XP then W7 then Linux when you choose the vista boot it takes you to the Windows bootloader where you have the choice of XP or W7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Out of interest (i.e. nosiness) , why is XP needed? If it's a minor player in your setup then you could install Win7 and then ubuntu and run XP in a virtual machine (in either of the main OS's). I once quad-booted with Windows something, Windows something else, Linux (Dapper Drake, I think) and BeOS installed just because I could rather than because I needed to. Heck of a messy hard disk partitioning.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans

I was hoping to pick the OS's all inside grub without layering 2 boot menus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by underquark View Post
    Out of interest (i.e. nosiness) , why is XP needed? If it's a minor player in your setup then you could install Win7 and then ubuntu and run XP in a virtual machine (in either of the main OS's). I once quad-booted with Windows something, Windows something else, Linux (Dapper Drake, I think) and BeOS installed just because I could rather than because I needed to. Heck of a messy hard disk partitioning.
    A virtual is the best idea but you would need at the least 2 gigs ram for it to not be slowed down. W7 runs very well with 2 gigs ram.

Beans

OK, I got XP, Win7 and Ubuntu to show up on the Grub2 Menu.

First, I had to make Three Primary Paritions, one for XP one for Win7, One for storage so both XP and Win7. The rest of the drive is extended partition. Inside extended partition, I had for swap, "/" "/home" etc.

I install XP on to the first primary partition, after it's finished, boot into the Live CD and remove that parition Boot Flag.

Then i installed Win7, Then Ubuntu. After that Ubuntu picked up all 3 OS's and I can select which one I want to boot to with no issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad to hear it worked,
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Great, glad you got things working and that is good to know that you have to remove that boot-flag!
    "Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading." - Quintus Septimius Tertullianus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast