Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixed My Flash full screen performance

Beans

Re: Fixed My Flash full screen performance

Hi, I gave that a try with no success. Is this a new issue that is suddenly appearing in Lucid or is it a general issue with Adobe Flash at the moment on linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just tried the OverrideGPUValidation = 1 suggestion. No improvement. I should mention that with Flash 10 I had to disable hardware acceleration (right click on the video) to prevent Flash from crashing. Videos run fine when not in fullscreen mode. In fullscreen it essentially pauses every 2-3 seconds. I understand Flash in fullscreen does not run well on many systems.

My system is Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, Lucid Lynx.

Funny, my 5yo Lenovo T60 with Radeon X1400, duo core 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM plays Flash in fullscreen well, particularly in Windoze XP. Not good....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by radko.dinev View Post
    Right clicking on any flash video, then "Settings", "Display" tab (the first one) and uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration".

That fixed the choppy poor performance Flash when in full screen. Now 720p HD flash videos (on YouTube) run smoothly in full-screen (using Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel On-Board GMA 4500 HD).
    this fixed it thanks alot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

None of the above suggestions have worked for me.

I have done the GPU validation thing, I've done the mms.cfg thing and I've just tried unticking disable hardware acceleration.

I have Intel core 2 duo 2.33Ghz, 2 gig of Ram and I'm running Lucid 64.

Added: Since unticking the acceleration button in flash I get more crashes.

Are canonical going to address this issue? It's getting pretty poor now. I love Ubuntu and will rave about it to most people but this is just embarrassing. How am I supposed to put Lucid on the odd netbook if when people ask if they can use Youtube I have to tell them "yes but not very well".

I don't think the thread title should have the SOLVED prefix either as it clearly isn't.

Beans

Ubuntu blames Adobe, Adobe blames Linux. The problem won't be fixed.
    My desktop, however, has enough power behind it where it can handle the sluggish performance of Flash in Linux. My netbook does not, so I had to put WinXP on it to get the most out of the device.
    So the only "solution" is a work-a-round. The point of me getting a netbook was to take it with me, enjoy web content, etc. I cannot do that (fully) with UNR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by caeroe View Post
    Ubuntu blames Adobe, Adobe blames Linux. The problem won't be fixed.
    My desktop, however, has enough power behind it where it can handle the sluggish performance of Flash in Linux. My netbook does not, so I had to put WinXP on it to get the most out of the device.
    So the only "solution" is a work-a-round. The point of me getting a netbook was to take it with me, enjoy web content, etc. I cannot do that (fully) with UNR.
    sucks really..

Beans

sorry, posted to wrong topic! cant work out how to remove it

Beans
    Distro

Found something that helps the full screen playback issue on 64 bit OS. There's a 32 bit version available too but I don't think Ubuntu 32 has the problem.

The frame rate seems better but it still slightly hangs when you move the mouse.

Download the latest release: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._091510.tar.gz

sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-* swfdec-mozilla swfdec-gnome mozilla-plugin-gnash gnash

and then extract attached in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ create folder if not there.

A mate of mine found this so I woe him the credit.
    Last edited by MrWestwood; September 18th, 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's the weirdest thing. I have 2 computers, 1 in the office and 1 at home. The one in the office Flash Full Screen is working fine!

But the one I have at home has the problems. I don't know why. Aren't they the same Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 32 bit?

So is this a hardware specific problem now? Nope, I didn't LOCK any kernel upgrades. They're basically the same. Everything.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    It's the weirdest thing. I have 2 computers, 1 in the office and 1 at home. The one in the office Flash Full Screen is working fine!

But the one I have at home has the problems. I don't know why. Aren't they the same Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 32 bit?

So is this a hardware specific problem now? Nope, I didn't LOCK any kernel upgrades. They're basically the same. Everything.
    From what I have read, the problem only affects 64 bit OS.

You could use uname -m

x86_64 = 64 bit
    i686 = 32 bit

After further reading, some clever chap has suggested 64 bit OS users install the 32 bit Firefox. I may give this a try tomorrow and post my results.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast