Thread: Rhythmbox freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Rhythmbox freezing

Hi,

So for some reason my Rhythmbox will freeze every now and then when playing songs on shuffle, and i'll have to run killall rhythmbox and then restart it. I have a reasonably large song collection (36GB) and I have set the network buffer to the max, 1024Kb. Crossfading is on with the time set to 0 seconds so there is no delay between tracks.

What could be causing the random freezes? They tend to happen every 30 minutes, or 10-15 songs... but sometimes it'll freeze on certain songs.. leading me to believe it's a plugin/codec problem. It's quite embarrassing (and annoying) when you're explaining to people why linux is awesome at a party and then the music stops! :S

Thanks
    Benjamin
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Rhythmbox freezing

Same here....

Beans
    Distro

I just gave up and switched to Banshee, it's a similar layout to Rhythmbox, but much more reliable, better looking with more features and I think better supported. It also handles .wma files, which I think is what causes Rhythmbox to crash. It also works better with my large music library, and it doesn't have a delay when I search for things in the filter box.

Try it out, imo it should be the default in Ubuntu.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wanas View Post
    Same here....
    Me three...it sucks...can't do any visualizations...stops all playback.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Rhythmbox freezing

I have the problem that Rhythmbox stops playing only when the tracks are particularly large... It appears when I mount the share that contains my music library with SMB (i.e., through Places/Network/Windows Network yatta yatta yatta)

If I use the command window to mount the share, I have not encountered the problem, but then it means that if there is a reboot (I live where there are multiple power cuts per day), my family cannot play the music 'cause they do not know how to use the command line to mount, etc...

With the "places/network..." approach, the files are located as...
    smb://nas-02-8e-75/media/Music/other/...
    whereas with the other approach, the files are referenced by...
    /media/music/media/Music/other...

Any clues? I would like to get the smb approach to work as it seems to be less of a "hack"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can you upload songs to your mp3 player or ipod using banshee though?