Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC-BSD anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: PC-BSD anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Curious to know what its like from anyone thats used/uses it?
    And how it compares to Free-BSD?

Thinking of installing it on a spare partition.
    I have used PC-BSD and highly recommend it. If it was Linux I would say it is the very best of distros but it is not Linux so I will say it is the very best of BSD.

I also like that you can use Gnome on it!

PC-BSD is to FreeBSD like Ubuntu is to Debian.

You could say that PC-BSD is the Ubuntu of the BSD world.
    Last edited by HappinessNow; September 19th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sweet, i'll give it a try and hopefully wont have any of those boot issues.

Whats hardware compatibility like?

Beans

Last time I tried it, it didn't detect my hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Sweet, i'll give it a try and hopefully wont have any of those boot issues.

Whats hardware compatibility like?
    *BSD hardware compatibility has been always worse than linux. That being said though, I've never had any problems with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm about to give PC-BSD a whirl too. From what I understand, it's a customized GUI implemented version of FreeBSD. Also, I like the concept of PBIs.

Anyone tried to install it on an iMac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried the last release. I downloaded the new release just now. it wont no matter what boot on my laptop.

but I remember the first time i installed it. I had two hours and then reinstalled linux. after some month i tried it again and kept it for 3 days. I just have trouble with relating to that distribution.

I like Desktop BSD that has just released a new version number. and I have a free bsd cli install on my old computer which i prefer over desktop bsd. it takes more work to get working but then you decide what the install should have of programs and if it should have a desktop or not. the other two pc-bsd ands desktop bsd you get a fully working system that needs to be hacked into pieces to get a customized system if you want something else than what the defaults has to offer it seems to me.

i am not the great bsd user. i just installed it a few times to see what it was. i like openbsd also.- but then again i did not use it long enough to talk about its advantages or disadvantages.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

Strange, indeed. It might boot on an Intel Mac. As far I'm aware PC-BSD as no Power PPC port.

Beans
    Distro

My install of PC-BSD installed and booted fine. I then installed Karmic(Grub2) after that. Now i cant boot into it. Grub2 or os-prober doesnt find it. Anyone else multibooting using grub2 that can guide me with the grub.cfg??

Beans

I used it as my main system for a while a few years ago. It was an easy system to use, the forum was very helpful; it was running KDE in those days (I'm not a fan of KDE) & it was the best laid out KDE I had seen, only bettered by Sabayon at a later date.

I moved on because there was a game I wanted to play that I needed Linux to be able to use it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I used it as my main system for a while a few years ago. It was an easy system to use, the forum was very helpful; it was running KDE in those days (I'm not a fan of KDE) & it was the best laid out KDE I had seen, only bettered by Sabayon at a later date.

I moved on because there was a game I wanted to play that I needed Linux to be able to use it.
    Yeh still uses KDE and still a nice looking KDE desktop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast