Thread: Ruby and irb on flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ruby and irb on flash drive?

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is any way that I could put Ruby and the irb on a flash drive?

School is starting on Monday, but I don't have a laptop. So I will have to work on the school's computers in the lab. However, they only have Visual Studio (and maybe eclipse) on windows machines.

Appreciate the help
    Just because a problem takes a long time, doesn't mean it's hard... It just means it takes a long time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ruby and irb on flash drive?

This doesn't answer your question exactly, but have you considered configuring an SSH server so you can log on to your computer remotely and use irb there?

I've been doing this in class with PuTTY, pageant, and my ssh-key on a flash drive.

Beans
    Distro

That's pretty interesting. I've never used an SSH server before. I will look into that, thanks!

Now I JUST realized that we have Macs in the computer lab, and I'm pretty sure Macs come with Ruby.

But I'm still interested to hear if it is possible to load up the environment onto a flash drive.
    Just because a problem takes a long time, doesn't mean it's hard... It just means it takes a long time.

Beans

Did you look at the AllInOneRuby project?

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/allinoneruby/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    Did you look at the AllInOneRuby project?

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/allinoneruby/
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

Although, it seems kind of dated, 2007 I believe? I am working with Ruby 1.8.7, will this still work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sam191 View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

Although, it seems kind of dated, 2007 I believe? I am working with Ruby 1.8.7, will this still work?
    Well, I'm not a ruby coder, so I couldn't give you an answer on that. But most software that increments from, say, 1.x.1 to 1.x.2 is just doing bug fixes and what not. Usually those version changes aren't going to crash your code. So this script should still work even though it was tested on 1.8.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I know what you mean. The reason I ask though, is because the book I am following explicitly states that I should use Ruby 1.8.2 and nothing before. But I totally get what you're saying about the version numbers.

I wonder how difficult it would be to re-implement it with the latest version of ruby, since it is "free software", this could be a possibility.

Good stuff nonetheless, thanks a lot!