Thread: new Software Store with latest updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: new Software Store with latest updates

Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    Add different view buttons?
    Maybe, but where in the window?

Something like the Nautilus empty-trash/ubuntuone/old-nautilus-search ribbon but with a drop down menu that let's you select search criteria and auto-refreshes the list based on user's choice?
    Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    To that extent, have you thought placing the scrollbar next to the main pane (and navigation pane when needed) instead of inside it? Sorry to mention Transmission again but they do it that way and it looks much, much cleaner than having it crammed inside (in that they borders don't mix). Please see the attached screenshot.
    That looks to me like it increases the number of borders. Or more precisely, it increases the number of sudden color changes as you cross from the inside of the pane to the outside of the window. It makes the whole window heavier. That’s not to say that the current layout is perfect, but I’d rather improve it by reducing weight rather than adding it, where it makes sense to do so.

I was calling it the wrong name. I meant the menubar (File, Edit, View, Help). It has a gray line to separate it from other widgets, but the navigation and main panes are touching that line, which doesn't look too good, because again, their borders mix.
    Not sure why that’s happening. It looks almost as if the container that holds both the navigation pane and the main pane has a stray top border of its own. You think that’s what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by MadsRH View Post
    I would like to see the blue background tweaked. Perhaps just a gradient?
    That does look nicer — but being the ubiquitous Web 2.0 background effect, it looks almost like a cheap shot. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    Quick qualm, though - Ctrl + Q doesn't quit out of the software store. Should I report this as a bug?
    No thanks, that’s deliberate — we’re closers, not quitters. Ctrl W should eventually close any non-dialog window in the program, including Software Sources and the screenshot window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Maybe, but where in the window?
    Well the most obvious to me is the Status bar (bottom bar). Lower right corner, next to the resize handle.

I also found out a possible solution to the "rounded containers on the edge of the window" theme issue from this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=76:

http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/2009...heming-tricks/
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Hidden!

No matter what my selection or search in the Software Store is, I always have [0 items available] in the "statusbar" without any item displayed. My sources file is fine, and synaptic/update-manager is working.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No thanks, that’s deliberate — we’re closers, not quitters. Ctrl W should eventually close any non-dialog window in the program, including Software Sources and the screenshot window.
    Interesting. Not that I necessarily disagree with that, but could you explain why that design decision was made? It seems like most application close out with Ctrl + Q - why won't Software Store?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

Interesting. Not that I necessarily disagree with that, but could you explain why that design decision was made? It seems like most application close out with Ctrl + Q - why won't Software Store?
    Yeah I was wondering this too... I've just been all around the desktop and it seems you "Quit" a main application window, and "Close" a child window (or tab) everywhere else. (e.g. look at Gedit, calculator, Gimp, Firefox, Log file viewer etc. etc.)

EDIT: In fact, it's part of the GNOME HIG guidelines (see here under "Closing Operations" http://developer.gnome.org/projects/...#the-file-menu)
    Last edited by Kazade; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You have a lot to learn, but one quick lesson for now: When control B does something based on your selection in control A, B should generally be below (or to the right of) A. For example, if “Install” and “Remove” act on your selection in the package list, they should be below (or to the right of) the package list.
    I am not sure about who made Synaptic Package Manager, but one thing is sure, and that is the my mockup is based on the same "select & install" concept used in Synaptic. I guess it can't be that bad since Synaptic has been in Ubuntu for years.

Still just a concept, and my mockup says nothing about right click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kazade View Post
    Yeah I was wondering this too... I've just been all around the desktop and it seems you "Quit" a main application window, and "Close" a child window (or tab) everywhere else. (e.g. look at Gedit, calculator, Gimp, Firefox, Log file viewer etc. etc.)

EDIT: In fact, it's part of the GNOME HIG guidelines (see here under "Closing Operations" http://developer.gnome.org/projects/...#the-file-menu)
    Interesting. Why doesn't Software Store comply to the same behavior?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

Interesting. Why doesn't Software Store comply to the same behavior?
    I think it was probably just overlooked that it's in the HIG. I've reported it as a bug just in case: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...re/+bug/435792

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i had this 0 items problem too but when i selected software source server Main Server instead of my country then everything was fine.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    System Imaging - Remastersys fork

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MadsRH View Post
    I would like to see the blue background tweaked. Perhaps just a gradient?

I actually filed a bug against the blue color. It's hardcoded and it doesn't fit with many themes...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/435431

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast