Thread: Shared printer not working on ubuntu network

Beans

Shared printer not working on ubuntu network

I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a desktop system and 9.04 on my laptop. The laptop connects via a netgear router using wireless. The desktop computer is hard wired into the router. I have set up my shared printer as described in this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu

The printer is attached to the desktop computer. The laptop sees the printer but if it is selected it causes the print dialog to freeze. if I use the printing trouble shooting option in the printer configuration dialog it just hangs until I cancel it then a message appears that says Queue not shared - the CUPS printer on the server is not shared.
    The printer is an Oki B4100 using a HP Laserjet driver and works perfectly on the local machine.

Can anyone please help?

Beans

Re: Shared printer not working on ubuntu network

Quote Originally Posted by Donnw View Post
    I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a desktop system and 9.04 on my laptop. The laptop connects via a netgear router using wireless. The desktop computer is hard wired into the router. I have set up my shared printer as described in this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu

The printer is attached to the desktop computer. The laptop sees the printer but if it is selected it causes the print dialog to freeze. if I use the printing trouble shooting option in the printer configuration dialog it just hangs until I cancel it then a message appears that says Queue not shared - the CUPS printer on the server is not shared.
    The printer is an Oki B4100 using a HP Laserjet driver and works perfectly on the local machine.

Can anyone please help?
    I think this maybe a firewall problem, but do not know how to solve it.