Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Docking and Undocking with dual external monitors

Beans

Docking and Undocking with dual external monitors

Hi,

I've got a Dell Latitude docked in a docking station, attached to the docking station are two external monitors.

I've used a mix of nvidia-settings and manual cranking to get the external displays set up as I want them. The manual cranking was to rotate one of the displays so that it's in portrait mode.

Is it possible to undock the laptop and have it switch back to the laptop screen. Then when the laptop is redocked have it remember the original configuration and use the external screens? I'm happy to accept that I may need to restart X; effectivly log out and back in again, but it'd be nice to not have to do that or copy different versions of /etc/X11/xorg.conf about.

Any ideas welcomed!

Beans

Re: Docking and Undocking with dual external monitors

Bump.

I am interested in a seamless solution to this problem too. Currently I have to manually go in and reset my displays to the laptop's screen (and vice versa when I dock it in the morning).

Beans

I also would like to bump the laptop docking issue.

1) Laptop lid closed, in suspend
    2) Plug into docking station
    3) Press power button with lid still closed
    4) Display SHOULD come up on external display

Very frustrating to have to restart my desktop session and lose all my windows to connect to a docking station.

Beans

I'm also in need of some info on this.

Right now, I can make it work with the docking station, but it seems I need to run the nvidia-settings every time to get my external monitors working.

Is there a way to make this seamless?

Beans

Bump.

I'd like to see what the community has on this as well. Going to jump into Ubuntu with a new Dell laptop this coming month, and I really would like to do dual monitors. If I really have to, I'd just use laptop monitor and one shared external monitor hooked up to the docking station.

Thanks all!

Beans

The best thing I've come up with so far is to modify the gdm config to test for the presence of my external monitors, and then apply the correct xorg.conf based on it's findings. It will require an x restart with docking/undocking, but I can't dig up anything else.

Beans

Bump.

I just got a dell and was interested in running the same setup. I am taking it that, as of now, every time I want to dock/undock I have to log out and log back in?

Is this a problem for people running ubuntu inside Windows (possible option for me if this doesn't work natively)?

Beans

I got it pretty close using hal events (halevt) and disper / auto-disper.

The laptop needs to be awake, and you need to be logged in when changing dock state. There's got to be a way to trigger the script during other events (on boot, on wake, etc..) to make it seamless, but I'm satisfied for now.

Works good for me!

Beans

I also have the same setup as the O.P. (including NVidia and dual external monitors, one I'd like in portrait.)

I too would like to see the ability to dock and undock with as few hand-machinations as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by julrich View Post
    I got it pretty close using hal events (halevt) and disper / auto-disper.

The laptop needs to be awake, and you need to be logged in when changing dock state. There's got to be a way to trigger the script during other events (on boot, on wake, etc..) to make it seamless, but I'm satisfied for now.

Works good for me!
    Could you post your configuration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast