Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: errors running programs in wine

Beans

Cool errors running programs in wine

hi so ive been trying to install world of warcraft from the cd dvd discs and i get an access denied. i know that due to the installer.exe file is hidden. and when i tryed to follow the howto forums and typing the commands in the terminal it doesnt work. so then i tryed downloading wow from the internet... got it and now when it trys to patch i get a error window that says "the program installer.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience." and that also happens to my other programs under wine like windows media player wont open or install as well as explore. ive been trying for weeks to get wow to run ive had a friend try and help me over the phone, im so frustrated if anyone can help plz... im so close to just going back to windows.

Beans

Re: errors running programs in wine

first of all relax and take a deep breath

we will walk down through each problem ...world of warcraft should not be problem ,as logn as you have graphic configure corectly .

please refer here -->
    http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...nality_on_Wine

when you enter command and it doesn't work...dont make your own assumption , please ask... you might get fooled by your own assumption ,when post on forum..please give error log, people able to help you then.

for other applications , please find replacement , what is meaning of using linux then if you still expect all applications depends on wine (windows application)??

good video player is Mplayer , VLC and music player i still prefer rythmbox or amarok .

neverless , www.google.com is our best friend
    もう誰かのためじゃなくて 自分のために笑っていいよ
    ~ Please do mark as resolved thread if your problem is solved,thanks~

Beans

ok so ive tried following the installer howto link you gave me. when it asked me to type this command in with the location of my cd rom drive which i did and it told me it was unable to find the location, i may have the wrong location. here is tyhe command it gave me.
    wine /media/WoWDisc1/Installer.exe

I may have the wrong location what i switch the media with was this location.
    /media/cdrom0

then i tried the next option of installation, which was to copy the files into a directory and i was unable to do that because it told me i do not have permission to do so.

im not sure if im typing the commands wrong or have the wrong cd rom location.
    plz help. im going to try the download from blizzard, but if i can do it from the cds i would rather do that.

thnx for helping.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    then i tried the next option of installation, which was to copy the files into a directory and i was unable to do that because it told me i do not have permission to do so.
    If you want to delete, modify or add files outside your home directory, you need to become root.

You can either do this by putting "sudo" before the terminal command you want to run, or by pressing Alt-F2 and typing:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    which opens up a file browser as root.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

ahahahahhaha awesome ok now that im copying these files over im going to try and finish following that installer howto and will keep posted on how its working.

THANK YOU!

Beans

when you open the mounted cd in folder , just click a button beside name of the directory (beside like (media)(namemightproblem)(WoWDisc1)) ..so it wil change to words instead of button , copy those words (/media'namemightproblem/WoWDisc1/) and open terminal

HTML Code:
    cd <paste those copy words>
    wine Installer.exe
    remember ..it is case sensitive

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    if you want to delete, modify or add files outside your home directory, you need to become root.

You can either do this by putting "sudo" before the terminal command you want to run, or by pressing alt-f2 and typing:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    which opens up a file browser as root.
    please don't ever use sudo , unless the guide state to do so, it might corrupt your software and system as well

Beans

ok so now the installer opened and installed and as it was patching i got an error windowed that said the program ran into a serious problem and had to quit. any answers on why it ran into an error?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as games, wine works fine. Media Player??? Give me a break! Wine is NOT Windows and neither is Linux. If you learn the open source apps made for Linux, you'll have less headaches and relax knowing you have a secure OS free from all the crap people use to bring down Windows.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

and when i run this command into my terminal

cd /root/wow installer1
    wine Installer.exe

it tells me

theo@theo-laptop-ak:~$ cd /root/wow installer1
    bash: cd: /root/wow: Permission denied
    theo@theo-laptop-ak:~$ wine Installer.exe
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\Installer.exe": Module not found
    theo@theo-laptop-ak:~$

what do i do now.

+ now when i try to just run the installer it opens to the games beginning install menu, and when i hit install nothing opens and the the menu disapears.

any answers to what i should do now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast