Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPC Install Headaches

Beans

PPC Install Headaches

I'm not new to Ubuntu in the slightest but this install on a G5 Desktop PPC is just absolutely frustrating the hell out of me. So much I have decided to ask for help

I have tried both versions of 9.04 release and have successfully been able to launch Ubuntu off a live cd about 2 weeks or so ago. Since then I have finally cleared off and backed up the hard drive for the intended install. Now the live cd wont boot at all. OSX does not recognize it and will constantly eject it upon trying to boot up.

Thought it was the CD so I download a new iso and try again. 3 CD's later still nothing using 2 different types of media using Disk Utility the first time, then toast, then using an entirely different windows machine w/ iso burn. Still no dice, it always will eject.

I try the Alternate cd and I get it to boot first time only to run into "debootstrap error failed to determine the codename for the release" and finding only a bad burn causes this? Still unsure what the actual solution to that issue is but now I cannot even boot that cd and again OSX does not recognize the disk at all.

So I'm now burning 8.04 to see if it is just an issue w/ 9.04 but I cannot even fathom why I was able to 2 short weeks ago and not at all now regardless of how many different ways I burn the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and very much so needed!

[I could not post in the Install forums probably because I registered today]

Beans

Re: PPC Install Headaches

Does Ubuntu even have PPC support? I think Debian does have that in contrast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by del_diablo View Post
    Does Ubuntu even have PPC support? I think Debian does have that in contrast.
    The downloads are right here. Not officially supported and are "ports" now.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Beans

Ok, then I apology for doubting.
    So what did you change on the HD? You just did a backup? That is somewhat weird, but stuff like that happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you still holding down the C key when you start up, to try and boot off the CD?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Outinthedark View Post
    I'm not new to Ubuntu in the slightest but this install on a G5 Desktop PPC is just absolutely frustrating the hell out of me. So much I have decided to ask for help
    1st. the mini install is the fastest.
    2nd. put the cd in the drive & restart.
    Hold in the C key. You might try burning the iso at the slowest speeds. That helps on older machines. CD-Rom may not handle your top burn speed. Also Use CD-R or CD+R not CDRW's.

Beans

BTW way do G5's support USB booting?
    You could use that handy tool in admin to make a bootable USB.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grundygreen View Post
    1st. the mini install is the fastest.
    2nd. put the cd in the drive & restart.
    Hold in the C key. You might try burning the iso at the slowest speeds. That helps on older machines. CD-Rom may not handle your top burn speed. Also Use CD-R or CD+R not CDRW's.
    I hope I don't sound rude, but that's all nonsense, aside from holding down the C key.
    When people make these recommendations, it does little but waste a person's money.
    Last edited by Mike_IronFist; September 16th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
    Need an awesome emulator front-end for Ubuntu? Look no further than Gelide!
    Gelide Tutorial (Click Here)

Beans
    Hidden!

This appears to be a problem with your Mac's optical drive. If it worked before, and nothing changed with the CD's you were using, then the change must be in the condition of your drive.
    Need an awesome emulator front-end for Ubuntu? Look no further than Gelide!
    Gelide Tutorial (Click Here)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    I hope I don't sound rude, but that's all nonsense,.
    When people make these recommendations, it does little but waste a person's money.
    When talking about modern equipment, perhaps you are right.

But when talking about older optical drives,
    then burning at slower speeds is at times needed.

I have an old CD-DVD ROM drive that will only read CD-R's burned at 4x or below.
    It will not reliably read CD-RW's.
    It will only read DVD's burned at 1x.
    (I keep it around because it has no RPC, Region Protect Code.
    yes it's that old !
    but it plays any commercial DVD.)

My previous car's CD player would only play music CD's burned at 2x or below.(yeah, that meant 30 minutes for a full audio CD).

Older burners had lower-power lasers, and less-sophisticated beam-control algorithms.
    Modern ones have higher-power, better-focused lasers, and of course, better software, to control the spindle, carriage and beam intensity.

And lastly, burning at a slower speed is not more expensive than burning at a faster speed...
    Unless you are doing it as a business. then of course you need all the speed you can get.
    "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price." -- Richard Stallman
    So don't forget to tip your software authors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast