Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

A project to enable syncing with iPhone Firmware 3.0 is under way (30 October 2009). See: http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/10/i...cing-on-linux/

One must install ifuse from the Ubuntu repos. Then, installing the SVN versions (as of November 25th, 2009) of gtkpod, libgpod, usbmuxd and related dependencies (from source - the distro packages MAY NOT work!) enables:

Syncing Music.
    Syncing Photos.
    Syncing Videos.
    Even though the support is alpha/beta in quality, it works well enough for testing purposes. In one user's case, it has operated fine syncing large amounts of Audio and video both to and from the iDevice running firmware 3.1.2. After a short "Updating Library.." setop on the iDevice the next time the Music or Video application was opened, all songs and videos were present, had album art, and played correctly. YAY!
    This is from the official iPod Touch page in the community documentation. I would suspect checking out these other packages would make it Nano 5G compatible, as well?

My best friend got one for Christmas, so this should be an exciting journey into alpha quality software for her. XD Or we could just use her pre-existing XP VirtualBox. Still, I can't wait until these changes are officially packaged. A lot of people have been waiting for this for a LONG time, as far as the touch devices go.

Beans

Hi Guys,

I got one of these Nano 5G's for my wife for Xmas, I didn't wanna get it but she really wanted it, and like me she only uses Linux. so it seems I bought her a useless Xmas present? any married ppl out there know the consequence of buying your wife a useless gift? lets just say it's not pretty

Anyway, to avoid anymore pain I started work on getting this working... and below is an attached file with a working copy of the itdb_sqlite source and header file for libpod for the Nano 5G. this is only 2 days worth of work so it still needs some tweaking, and it will most likely break compatibility with other model ipods, so if you use another model ipod it may not work after installing this

What works:
    Transfer of music.
    Changing of rating or id3tag info.

What doesn't:
    Play lists.
    Lots of other random things (assuming everything I haven't tested doesn't work)

I would like to point out here that this is just a concept so I will not be fixing any of the issues, please do not report them. the developers at gtkpod are working on Nano 5G and there work is so much better than mine , as their doing it properly and my fix is just a ugly one I'd suggest watching there site closely for any updates to support the Nano 5G and update when the device is supported.

Okiura,

Download libpod from http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...83688e2;sf=tgz, copy the attached files into the src directory, build and install
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Okiura; December 28th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I tried applying these changes to the latest libgpod code from the GIT repository and rebuilding both libgpod and gtkpod, but I still don't get any song appearing on my iPod 5G (16GB) after syncing.

I'll give it another go from scratch a bit later.
    :wq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hm, I just ordered one - seems I have to install XP via virtualbox again then

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stefanadelbert View Post
    I tried applying these changes to the latest libgpod code from the GIT repository and rebuilding both libgpod and gtkpod, but I still don't get any song appearing on my iPod 5G (16GB) after syncing.

I'll give it another go from scratch a bit later.
    make sure your sysinfo file has the firewireid (starting with a 0x then the 16 numbers) and model, check the README from the source on how to do that without it the checksum will be wrong and no tracks will display

Beans
    Distro

That did the trick. Seems that I didn't have libsgutils installed. I just followed the manual instructions though and it's all working fine now.

Thanks for the help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Okiura View Post
    Hi Guys,

I got one of these Nano G5's for my wife for Xmas, I didn't wanna get it but she really wanted it, and like me she only uses Linux. so it seems I bought her a useless Xmas present? any married ppl out there know the consequence of buying your wife a useless gift? lets just say it's not pretty

Anyway, to avoid anymore pain I started work on getting this working... and below is an attached file with a working copy of the itdb_sqlite source and header file for libpod for the Nano G5. this is only 2 days worth of work so it still needs some tweaking, and it will most likely break compatibility with other model ipods, so if you use another model ipod it may not work after installing this

What works:
    Transfer of music.
    Changing of rating or id3tag info.

What doesn't:
    Play lists.
    Lots of other random things (assuming everything I haven't tested doesn't work)

I would like to point out here that this is just a concept so I will not be fixing any of the issues, please do not report them. the developers at gtkpod are working on Nano G5 and there work is so much better than mine , as their doing it properly and my fix is just a ugly one I'd suggest watching there site closely for any updates to support the Nano G5 and update when the device is supported.

Okiura,

Download libpod from http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...83688e2;sf=tgz, copy the attached files into the src directory, build and install
    Sweet, I can't wait to try this out later. Thanks so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am running Ubuntu 9.10, and had problems compiling the library from source (due cause; apparent noobieness)

Quote: Download libpod from http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...83688e2;sf=tgz, copy the attached files into the src directory, build and install

When I tried building the library from source I ran into problems:

mattycoze@mattycoze-laptop:~/src/libgpod$ sudo ./autogen.shchecking for autoconf >= 2.53...
    testing autoconf2.50... not found.
    testing autoconf... found 2.64
    checking for automake >= 1.7...
    testing automake-1.11... found 1.11
    checking for libtool >= 1.4.3...
    testing libtoolize... found 2.2.6
    checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
    testing glib-gettextize... not found.
    ***Error***: You must have glib-gettext >= 2.2.0 installed
    to build libgpod. Download the appropriate package for
    from your distribution or get the source tarball at
    ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.2/glib-2.2.0.tar.gz

I was able to install libtool from the Ubuntu repository but ran into problems when trying to install glib-gettext - I couldn't find a 'deb'. I was wondering if someone had already compiled a .deb from the source for Ubuntu users (even though this program may be buggy).

Beans
    Distro

Here is an extract from the INSTALL file which is part of the gtkpod source:

Code:
    The following steps were necessary to install libgpod and gtkpod on a fairly virgin Ubuntu Hardy (LTS 8.04) installation.

# required packages
    sudo apt-get install autoconf flex gettext libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev libid3tag0-dev libxml-parser-perl pkg-config automake gcc git-core gtk-doc-tools

# recommended packages
    sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev libflac-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libhal-dev libvorbis-dev libmp4v2-dev

# checkout libgpod and gtkpod
    git clone git://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/gtkpod/libgpod
    git clone git://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/gtkpod/gtkpod

# compile libgpod
    cd libgpod/
    ./autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

# compile gtkpod
    cd ../gtkpod/
    cd libgpod/
    ./autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

#start gtkpod
    gtkpod &
    Make sure that you have installed all the dependencies (see the two sudo apt-get install commands).

It's probably best to build your own just to make sure that you're building against exactly the right versions of the various libraries for your system.

Beans

So what needs to be installed for nano 5g support? I got my daughter one for Christmas, and a wife's wrath barely surpasses that of a daughter who's Christmas present doesn't work. I installed libgpod and gtk-pod from git, but had no luck sync'ing. Have now patched libgpod with okiura's code, and will try again on my daughter's computer this evening. itunes in Virtualbox is HORRIBLE, and freezes the VM after transferring a few songs (even with a couple of GB thrown at it). I did install the iphone and ipod touch software as murderslastcrow suggested, tho not necessarily in the right order, and noticed no difference in behaviour. firewire-id looks like it is correct after I finally got the ipod initialized from itunes in a second virtualbox VM (the first one kept refusing to update it), so maybe the manual steps to set the firewire-id are not necessary after initializing from itunes?? Acually using Debian Sid, but the packages/versions look pretty similar to Ubuntu 9.10. Git's of libgpod and gtk-pod build fine.
    Last edited by learnincurve; December 29th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast