Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Beans

Re: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Kreuger: What errors do you get when make fails? Often there is something missing that autogen/configure doesn't pick up on.

Otherwise: I followed the instructions and I think it's working, although The track I tried to transfer ended up with a different name "libgpodxxx" I think, where xxx was a number. It's my daughter's Ipod so I'm not su used to handling music/playlists. I messed around in Gtkpod, Rhythmbox and Amarok before I finally found the file on the Ipod, so not sure which app. did the trick.

For some reason I was unable to find, the ./tools/ipod-system-config-extended executable (it wasn't built), so I just used the webpage from earlier in the thread to generate the Hashinfo file and put it manually onto the Ipod.

Thanks all for all your work on this!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Kreuger: What errors do you get when make fails? Often there is something missing that autogen/configure doesn't pick up on.
    I posted the full output on pastebin.com the link is in my last post. It doesn't seem to give me anything detailed although I dont know a lot about programming so who knows what I've missed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

From your pastebin it looks like a source code error. Did you get that from git? If so you can try updating the source code, or you can download the zip file that Okiura attached earlier in this thread.
    Registered Linux User #422402

Beans
    Distro

I grabbed this and went from there as the wget download in the guide jamesarbrown posted was not working.

Edit: I went through and looked for any libs I might've been missing (libiphone, swig) and now my error is a little longer.

Link
    Last edited by Kreuger; January 6th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Beans

I've got it working halfway now ... Can upload to my nano 5g with amarok1.4 or gtkpod, but i also have to load the ipod into itunes(through virtualbox), or else i get "No Music" on my player ... (i guess its some kind of indexing problem)

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by BlaWiz; January 6th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

Hi Guys

just want to clear something up as it seems it could be causing some confusion, the link/instrustion Posted to by Jamesbrown is for the 5G test branch from the libgpod developers, if you are using that version DO NOT apply may patch as it WILL NOT work and WILL break the build.
    I would recommend you try this version as it is under active development, however if it's not working for you atm you can always try my patch but remember to check back on the developers site for any updates.

If your looking to use my patch be sure to only use it against the the official git tree found on the libgpod site, i would recommend using the link from my 1st post though as that is the version I build the patch against.

To get my patch to work you need to do the following:
    • Download both the source and patched files found in my first post.
    • Extract both archives & copy the 2 files from the patch archive to the 'libgpod/scr' directory overwriting the originals.
    • 'cd' to the libgpod directory and run the following commands:
      Code:
      ./autogen
      make
      sudo make install
    • Use the instructions found in the 'README.SysInfo' to set both your 'FirewireGuid' and 'ModelNumStr'.
    • Generate a "HashInfo" file from here 'http://ihash.marcansoft.com/' and put it in the 'Device' folder of your Ipod.

This should be enough to allow you to use most applications to transfer music if you are still getting 0 tracks after following these instructions check the application your using hasn't messed up the 'SysInfo', if it's still ok be sure to read back over the previous posts the answer is most likely there some where

Okiura,
    Last edited by Okiura; January 7th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I think I've found one difference. Your patch is for libgpod, I'm trying to build the latest git for gtkpod itself. I was able to build libgpod from git but my problems are with gtkpod.

Beans

I can confirm that with the hashinfo file it works, but rhythem box dosnt seem to be able to add stuff properly, perhaps a problem with its plugin

Beans

I just wanted to add that I know absolutely nothing about compiling, programming or linux in general, but I'm pretty good at following directions and managed to get my wife's xmas present running with the directions in this post. Thanks to all for the hard work and saving yet another poor guy from a woman's wrath.

BTW, the only thing that seemed different for me was loading the firewire ID. I edited the sysinfo file, but when I started gtkpod and initialized it the first time (after picking the color) it added the model info and deleted the 0x from the front of the ID. Once I added it back everything was cool.

Beans

I finally have a working ipod
    Thanks to everyone helping to solve this problem and especially Okiura for not giving up

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast