Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: skype video issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: skype video issue

Tudor.
    absolute disaster. Followed your instructions when browser came up, found skype, renamed to skype real. Made new file and got into gedit. copied and pasted, hit execute came out. No skype at all, firefox won't load at all, computer hangs. Had to shut down and restart in windows, (yuk) to get this message to you.

Big problem HELP

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK so I decided after several hours of a frozen computer to do a fresh install. Downloaded iso file, burn to didk and installed 9.10 no probs.
    Wireless now doesn't work, it was OK) and when I try to install skype, deb package manager gives me,"libqt-4 network needs to be installed. I've looked in synaptic and cannot find any libqt files. Where can I get them from.

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

WOW I'm speechless...

Well... I really don't know what to say. One of the possible things is that there may be something bad about your hardware?!? When my firefox started crashing randomly I apparently had my RAM crashing. That may be a possibility. Especially because weird things happened after a clean install.

So let's recap what you did. You rename the file named skype, and then created a new file with that code inside. Hmm.. That shouldn't have broken anything.

Are you using Ubuntu 64bit or 32bit? And where are you getting your skype from? Mine is from the skype website.

About the nautilus errors, I get some too. I don't know what they mean I just ignore them and it works fine. In case you're interested here's what I get:
    Code:
    Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

** (nautilus:4914): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'UploadFinished'

** (nautilus:4914): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'DownloadFinished'

** (nautilus:4914): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'ShareCreateError'
    But your windows works. That's really weird. I have absolutley no idea.
    The weird thing is your error about contacting an admin. I don't much about that..

As for the qt package. I believe the package is libqt4-network? I have it in synaptic. Is the multiverse repository enabled? Try going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enabling multiverse, universe and all.

If you try skype again, try simplifying the lines and putting just:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real
    And, (if you get this far) run skype from the terminal so that we can see the errors it gives.

Are you running compiz by any chance?

Anyhow... Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Tudor

OK, after shutting down again and restarting everything worked after a bit of a fiddle with the wireless setup. Eventually found the libqt files and installed skype, (from skype website) Still no video so I went to the wiki site and printed off the list of cams that work out of the box with linux skype, (trust procam). It should be here by Monday, so I'll try it and let you know. It has much better resolution than my pc-line 300, which according to wii only works after a fair bit of fiddling.

Thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated. I will however try to find out why I get this strange error message regarding no permissions.

Cheers

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Steve,

Its great that you have it working. I assumed before that your webcam worked (never thought that you haven't tested it before). A way to test it is to install cheese. Its a webcam app. If it works with cheese, chances are it should work with skype.
    The script we made here is supposed to help 64bit systems have webcam work with skype. I believe that 32bit systems should work out of the box.

I went about to read about your nautilus problem. Apparently its a windows share problem. Try to install samba.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba smbfs
    From this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566572

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Tudor
    I don't think I'm running compiz. What is it, what does it do and does it start automatically.
    No, the webcam never worked It's a PC-Line 300 and the wiki site says that it doestn't work without quite a bit of fiddling. I am hoping that the new cam will work as wiki says it does, "straight out of the box"

Let you know what happens.

PS: I've installed samba.

Steve

Beans

Running Nautilus in root mode is a bad idea IMO.
    Run only gedit or wahtever text editor you have. Nautilus is a complex beast and you may mess up your permissions to certain files that are essential to the GDM.

The Skype solution is simple, no need to fiddle around messing stuff up.
    Try the command with the LD_PRELOAD in a terminal.
    Then if you want to make it permanent:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/bin/skype-launcher
    Or, in Xubuntu is mousepad instead of gedit.

and paste the following in it:

Code:
    #/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    save, quit. Then type:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/skype-launcher
    And if you use 64-bit version of ubuntu the path to the v4l1compat.so is slightly different:

/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

Then launch the menu editor (press alt+f2, type alacarte, enter), and modify the Skype launcher command there (from skype to skype-launcher).

Thats all.

Also, the best working version (yes, i tried it and use it on 8 computers and it works perfectly) is directly from the Skype site:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/downloa.../linux/choose/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi all,

On my Intrepid with Logitech QuickCam (046d:08af) the 'Skype.real' fix worked fine for me.

(I am amazed how many people can fix things on this forum - this is my first post!)
    Thanks again and keep helping each other!

Arky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: skype video issue

Just to add, I tried my wife's PC-LINE cam, she has a better model, than my 300N, a PCL 1.3MP and it worked without any problems at all.

I'm hoping that my Trust spotlight pro will be as good.

For anyone thinking of buying a cam, Amazon have got a 5 megapixel cam for £9.99 which they say works with Linux. No Brand name in the tech spec tho'

Cheers everyone for your help and suggestions

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have recently installed 9.10 with the latest package from skype. Previously I ran 8.04. Both audio and video functioned. Now I only have audio. The video device is

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia Sonix USB 2.0 Camera

Cheese works.

I tried the script suggested in this thread to no avail. With or without, the little blue light on my laptop camera lights up when I click on the TEST button in the Skype options, but the little video window remains black.

Anybody have any suggestions?

TIA

Paul

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast