Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

The patch file will be the same until 2.6.33 because the coding in the 2.6.32 "series" is the same. I just fixed the script so it would recognize that you're running kernel 2.6.32.3.
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

Quote Originally Posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    The patch file will be the same until 2.6.33 because the coding in the 2.6.32 "series" is the same. I just fixed the script so it would recognize that you're running kernel 2.6.32.3.
    Yes what I wanted to say is that as the patch is the same and installed manually the new kernel I still have the freezes... As long as I get into my home I will try again and post the logs here...

Beans
    Distro

Crap. Double crap. Triple crap. I just noticed that I've been using the wl driver the whole time and not b43 . I'm such an idiot. I just tried loading the b43 driver under the new kernel 2.6.32.3 and I'm getting the same 10-seconds-waiting-then-kernel-panic error. I'm going to try compiling the b43 driver from the wireless-testing git tree. It already has the files prepatched, so that eliminates some work.

I would be glad if emas80 could give some help on this. He's the only one who's got it working so far.
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

Crap. Double crap. Triple crap. I just noticed that I've been using the wl driver the whole time and not b43 . I'm such an idiot...
    LOL :S

Good luck
    gFa

Beans

Crap. Double crap. Triple crap. I just noticed that I've been using the wl driver the whole time and not b43. I'm such an idiot. I just tried loading the b43 driver under the new kernel 2.6.32.3 and I'm getting the same 10-seconds-waiting-then-kernel-panic error. I'm going to try compiling the b43 driver from the wireless-testing git tree. It already has the files prepatched, so that eliminates some work.

I would be glad if emas80 could give some help on this. He's the only one who's got it working so far.
    LOL

So you are saying that using patched-kernel.org (and not Ubuntu) kernel 2.6.32.3 instead of 2.6.32.2 locks the system in kernel panic?
    I had a kernel panic too, the very first time I booted Ubuntu 9.10 with its 2.6.31 kernel, when I checked wireless card driver (I really don't remember which one, if wl or b43) in Admnistration>Hardware drivers. I didn't care, because I was at work, I was full of to-dos and I had a wired connection, I simply rebooted and then nothing strange happened since then, simply my wifi was not working. So I think now that kernel panic was caused by this driver

But, by the way, I really don't know what to do..
    A kernel panic is a bad thing.. I just suggest to check log files (system>log file viewer) for error messages, maybe there is something useful..
    All that I did was patch with the right patch the right kernel. I usually recompile my own kernel, after downloading the last version from kernel.org, I'm a little maniac with this .
    So my system was totally "clean", headers compiled and installed, kernel compiled and installed and running, modules compiled and installed, all in right directories, dkms autorecompiled correctly (and still now checks on every boot) nvidia and virtualbox modules.. This is just to say that I did the things in the way the things are to be done, a coherent way, I KNOW what I was doing.
    I'm not telling YOU don't know , I'm trying to describe my totally clean situation.

What I don't undestand is...
    Which kernel are you using? Is the kernel recompiled? Has it been totally recompiled and installed together with its kernel headers? I don't totally agree with copying that "Module.symvers" file, just because in my ignorance I don't know what "Module.symvers" file is (I can wonder it, but I'm not totally sure), and I'm not sure about things I ignore .
    In particular,
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/Module.symvers
    what's "uname -r"? I hope that it is 2.6.32 (but I frankly don't believe so.. ) , because else you are copying a file from current running kernel to a complete different one!
    Maybe it could work, maybe not..
    What that I know, is that there is a kernel panic, and a possibly mix of modules from possible different kernels...
    So, chenxiaolong, what's your current situation?
    What's the changelog between 2.6.32.2 and 2.6.32.3?
    I'm really NOT going to install new kernel (until 2.6.33 revision comes out ) I need my notebook for my job and now, after Christmas' holidays are over, I have no time to recompile and rechecks everything, right now everything works and I'm happy with this.

Beans

This thread looks very promising in solving my issues with b43. I tried using the 2.6.32 script to update the kernel and it seems to be attempting to install the amd64 version on accident. I've tried manually updating to the newer kernel but I always mess it up somehow.

I have an HP Mini 311 with an Atom processor so that would require the i386 kernel right?

Thanks for making that script chenxiaolong it got me very excited, even though it hasn't worked yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Perhaps the all-knowing chenxiaolong can help me with my b43 problem?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1373877

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

This bit worked for me
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is the new, updated information for Karmic. The steps are much easier in Karmic than in Jaunty. The steps for Jaunty are at the bottom of the post for reference and for people who still use Karmic.

1. Open up Terminal.

2. Install the "linux-backports-modules-karmic" (newer wireless drivers from compat-wireless) package and the "b43-fwcutter" package (wireless firmware). During installation, if it asks you to fetch the firmware automatically, make sure you select yes.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic b43-fwcutter
    3. Blacklist the ssb module.

Code:
    echo "blacklist ssb" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ssb.conf
    4. Blacklist the wl module.

Code:
    echo "blacklist wl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-wl.conf
    5. Reboot

6. Enjoy your wireless!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Compaq Mini 110C-1100

Beans
    Distro

I am soo sorry for the late response. VBulletin didn't send email notifications for any of my fifty some subscribed threads . Anyway, I'm back now .

Emas80: I am actually running the Ubuntu version of the 2.6.32.3 kernel from the Ubuntu Kernel PPA. I am not running a self compiled version of the 2.6.32.3 kernel. I do have the headers and the kernel source installed. The modules.symvers file contains information about the symbol versions for the kernel modules. I really have no idea what symbols (in this case) are. About "uname -r": It's actually a command that tells you what kernel version you are booted into and are running. When you use " ` " in a script or a command, it runs the command inside the " ` " and replaces " `blahblah` " with the output of the command "blahblah." It essentially does the same thing as "$(blahblah)." Here's the changelog of kernel 2.6.32.3: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...6.32.3/CHANGES. It doesn't fix anything for b43, except a error on the PPC platform.
    I'll try compiling a kernel from kernel.org and hopefully it will finally work .

llamafier: I'm sorry my script installed the amd64 version of the kernel on your computer. You can remove the kernel using Synaptic or apt-get. Could you post the output of the command "uname -a" so I can improve the detection of my script (I don't have a computer running Ubuntu i386)? Also, my script doesn't work quite right yet because the Ubuntu version of the kernel isn't cooperating with the new, patched b43 driver. I'll let you know when I get it working .

saewelo: I suggest that you do NOT use that method as it will eventually cause a DMA error, which will cause the wireless card to stop working until you manually take out the wireless card and touch all the pins (pretty annoying).

Anyway, I'll be compiling the latest kernel from http://kernel.org and I'll let you guys know how it goes .

Chen Xiao-Long
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

chenxiaolong,

Could you please list the 50 subsribed threads? Your b43 thread subscribers will all want to subsribe to their thread facilitor's recommended threads.

Alacrity

Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast