Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One vs. Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu One vs. Dropbox

I got DropBox and Ubuntu One. I guess it's a little inconvenient to use both rather than having the best of both worlds sync'd into one folder, but at least there's competition!

Dropbox allows me to share files between Ubuntu and my XP virtual machine. This also allows me to share files with other windeuce machines, which is quite convenient.

Ubuntu-One is Ubuntu-focused, so it's probably great for sync'ing multiple Ubuntu machines (sync Evilution mail, etc.). That's quite awesome, especially when I'll get my netbook just before Karmic's release.

I'm really glad to see the competition between these applications, this should make for rapid innovation!
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans

This is the most recent comparison of the two products I could find. The author thinks Dropbox is better.

http://www.brighthub.com/hubfolio/ma...les/75004.aspx

Beans

good article....in my experience the main difference is simple: its that dropbox works and ubuntuone does not.
    i have installed both on many (now 30+ machines for myself and others) and have had MANY problems with ubuntuone but very few with dropbox.
    ubuntuone just is not ready for primetime--even though it is now part of a default install.
    as always your mileage my vary--there are many people who have had NO problems with ubuntuone--just as there are many people who have had NO problems with the windows operating system, i and my friends are not in that minority.
    at first one could say that canonical was working the bugs out of the system--however we are now years down the road and the same problems still exist.
    i have had files disappear/reappear/just freaky stuff happen with ubuntuone---so therefore i cannot recommend it till it is fixed--who knows when that will be..
    i am NOT trying to argue with its supporters/staff just stating my observations..

good luck
    --Peon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by littlepeon View Post
    good article....in my experience the main difference is simple: its that dropbox works and ubuntuone does not.
    i have installed both on many (now 30+ machines for myself and others) and have had MANY problems with ubuntuone but very few with dropbox.
    ubuntuone just is not ready for primetime--even though it is now part of a default install.
    as always your mileage my vary--there are many people who have had NO problems with ubuntuone--just as there are many people who have had NO problems with the windows operating system, i and my friends are not in that minority.
    at first one could say that canonical was working the bugs out of the system--however we are now years down the road and the same problems still exist.
    i have had files disappear/reappear/just freaky stuff happen with ubuntuone---so therefore i cannot recommend it till it is fixed--who knows when that will be..
    i am NOT trying to argue with its supporters/staff just stating my observations..

good luck
    --Peon
    +1.

I've been trying to use U1 for quite a while now, across several Ubuntu releases and multiple computers. The service is a terrible train wreck. I would love to use U1 because I'm such an Ubuntu fanboy, but the fact of the matter is that the service just doesn't work as advertised, or anywhere close to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by littlepeon View Post
    --Peon
    +1

I agree completely.

UbuntuOne/Dropbox reminds me of the MozillaSync/XMarks tussle.
    (an outsider came in and did a great job, then the insiders tried to "take back" the lost mindshare)

Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

+1

After problems in previous releases I just uninstalled it immediately when Maverick came along. It's having another trial on a Natty test machine (where it will stay until after official release as a fair test).

The signs aren't good. It works for a while, then just gets itself in a twist.

Beans

No experience with Ubuntu One, but I've used Dropbox in a mobile environment via an "iPad". I'd have to say, it worked fairly well. No complaints. I could access the files across many platforms and from any location. Very useful.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As a student I have been frantic about losing my ongoing papers so I have made frequent copies to different computers and usb sticks. As I also do my work on three different computers I want to be able to always use the latest version. This meant a lot of copying. So I decided to have a go at this cloud thing I keep hearing about.

I started out with Dropbox since my friends use this. I has been working great actually for working on a team paper, where we can collaborate with the same documents. Well, there is no check out/check in (that we know of) so we need to keep track that we don't save the same document from different places. Other than that it's more or less perfect. Works with linux, windows and mac.

Being a ubuntu user I tried out Ubuntu One a long time ago but the sync was very random. I decided to give it another shot to be able to use the same folder on all three computers for my own work. It started out great and I was working at home with laptop 1. Booting my eee pc to let it sync, and keep working on the bus to work. At work the eee pc connected and uploaded the documents to Ubuntu One. It was a bliss. Until today. This weekend I have been working for two days straight with a paper. I save all this work directly in my Ubuntu One folder. I bring my eee pc to keep working on the bus and only get a three day old document. Crap. I get to work and my work pc also get a three day old file. Now I start to get a bit nervous, what if these two computers now have replaced the document I work all weekend with... I connect to Ubuntu One through Firefox and voila, three day old file. I start up my laptop where I did all the work, shut down the network to avoid any accidental syncing. Huge relief that the file in my Ubuntu One folder on THAT computer was the latest one. I copied it to several places.

I have been working directly in the Ubuntu One folder on all three computers. They have not been used at the same time, though they have been online. That might be a problem? Also I have not got any notice that "sync is complete" or "file uploaded" or "sync error" while working this weekend. During this work I got several notices from Dropbox that my friends had updated or uploaded files for the work we keep in Dropbox.

Yes, I might not be well educated in how Ubuntu One work. But compared to Dropbox I have the same knowledge there. I have followed the installation instructions to set it up on several computers. After that I prefer if it just works. So far, Dropbox has done that. Ubuntu One, I'm not so sure.

Beans

I installed Dropbox a couple of weeks ago on my Ubuntu 10.10 machines and on my office Windows 7 machine. It works very well and it syncs at light speed. With Ubuntu One, I drop a folder with just a few files in it at night, I come back in the morning and it's still syncing, and that's on all my Ubuntu 10.10 computers. I installed it on Windows and it doesn't even start. I absolutely love Ubuntu, but Ubuntu One just doesn't work for me. Can Ubuntu One be uninstalled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

personally, i use many of these backup services. im a sucker for punishment as long as i get free stuff.

i use dropbox for game saves, documents, .torrent files (not the actual downloads), and a good size picture collection. i maxxed out all the free space offers on dropbox for extra free space (lifehacker had an article on how). its great because i can share all the stuff on there with their built in tool to share things.

i use Ubuntu One for my music collection. my mp3 player only holds 2gb so i don't personally keep more than that in music. (not an avid music fan). the fact that i can stream this to droid makes this service great. if i get a bigger mp3 player, i might get a single '20 pack' of storage. another perk is the tomboy backup and contacts backup. i reformat every 6 months so this is a godsend for me

i use amazon cloud drive for my movie backups. they give you 5gb for free, and if you buy an mp3 album (i bought a $4 one) they give you a permanent upgrade to 20gb. i don't do blue ray, and most of my movies are 360p tv episodes. anything i don't give too much of a care about on this front i just burn to a data disk and throw in a safe i have.

in the 'vs' debate, i would say Dropbox wins in reliability, ubuntu one wins in features, and Amazon wins in price by a WIDE margin (though you pay by the year....)

i have not tried spideroak, but plan to look into it now. and a sheer hatred of microsoft kept me away from skydrive
    Last edited by Surachinen; May 17th, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast