Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: left super key doesn't work, only right super button works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: left super key doesn't work, only right super button works

Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Super_L"
    did the job perfectly. I don't know what the "NoSymbol" stuff is in the key 134 for Super_R, but I'll just reset that too in the same manner, if I have any problems.

I learned alot, thanks everyone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: left super key doesn't work, only right super button works

Quote Originally Posted by jzacsh View Post
    Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Super_L"
    did the job perfectly.
    The change is not persistent. So you don't have to worry about it each boot, make an entry with the command in System, Preferences, Startup Applications:
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The change is not persistent. So you don't have to worry about it each boot, make an entry with the command in System, Preferences, Startup Applications:
    after realizing just that it wasn't persistent last night, and not wanting to make it a start up (because i feel like that must be just a work around, not a proper solution), I tried
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    but it didn't make a difference. than I thought, maybe its a config setting that's messed up with Compiz? or gnome-do? so i uninstalled gnome-do... and at least the compiz-settings-manager (though, i think that's strictly a manager, and was a useless move).
    after a reinstall of both, i'm still having quirky behavior:
    • sometimes the left button works, than i try it again a second later and it doesn't work.
    • also, the only times it will work is when its for gnome-do. compiz is only responding to the right super

you might just say, give up and put the keycode into startup, but i'm getting this quirky behavior even after i reset the keycode.

any more ideas, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First, this thread is marked as solved, but unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm having the same problems on my computer running karmic and can't seem to find a solution. I tried everything above, but nothing seemed to change. So I saved the output of xmodmap to a file like so
    Code:
      xmodmap -pke > keyboard.map
    Upon inspection, I realized that their are two keys with Super_L assigned by default. Key 133 and Key 206. I rewrote the file to look like this:

Code:
    keycode 133 = Super_L NoSymbol Super_L NoSymbol Super_L
    keycode 206 =
    I'm assuming here, but it seems like the NoSymbol portion is normal and probably has to do with how the key should respond in different situations.

Then I fed the file back to xmodmap like so

Code:
    xmodmap - < keyboard.map
    The changes were reflected when I viewed the new configuration, but Super_L was no more responsive than before. Then I went into compiz and set some new key combinations using the left super and the ones I changed worked with both the left and right supers while the ones that I left alone still didn't work with the left key. I then tried to make 133 = Super_R since it seems like super r works all the time. This didn't fix anything either. I had this problem with a different keyboard and on 9.04 as well prior to installing 9.10, but like the guy above it just showed up one day and hasn't gone away, and like him, I only ever use the left super key.

As a final note, I'm using Restricted Drivers from NVIDIA and when it installed it rewrote my xorg.conf file. I don't know if that's when things got hairy or not, but it could play a role I suppose.

Edit: Just now, after changing the Super_L to Super_R immediately after x server was restarted has given me access to the left super key.
    Last edited by sad1sm0; November 21st, 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12