Thread: Problems with streaming sound and vision

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Problems with streaming sound and vision

OK, almost complete newbie here with streaming issue. I've tried to search with little (in my a. tired and b. maybe slightly drunk and annoyed state) success.

Backgournd data for you - using JJ 9.04 in full installation for a week with only a couple fo days trial time on the back of that. I've apparently got Adobe flash plug in 10 running on firefox 3.5.3. I've also got GStreamer Dirac video, extra and ffmpeg video plug ins working, and gstreamer polug ins for mms, wavpack, quicktme and musepcak running in the apps section.

Today I tried to get the Giants/Redskins game working through both Giants.com and nfl.com without success on the live gamecentre. I couldn't get the game centre to work though the realtime updates in text were Ok on ff3.5.

I may be barking uo the wrong tree as it may not be flash related but I'm getting no sound or vision on any other video stream so far tested.

I know it's all my fault. Can some nice person olease tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can solve it in time for next week's NFL?

Many Thanks in advance,
    Frustrated Big Blue fan in the UK
    Last edited by Rob Maddison; September 14th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problems with streaming sound and vision

After having a browse this am through some of the other sound/vision issues here I tried uninstalling swfdec flash player and adobe 10 player.

I get sound but no vision on youtube but with other sites like BBC.co.uk and nfl.com I see a blank screen and a maybe some flashing but otherwise it just hangs.

Any clues folks?
    Last edited by Rob Maddison; September 14th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Forgive me if you have already seen this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

Thanks but I've been banging my head against the bbc and nfl sites for three hours now without success

I intalled the windows codecs using medibuntu, then the xine-plugin as the mentioned page suggests. Still no joy with either the BBC or NFL or one or two other sites. Youtube works fine with sound and vision but isn't one of my regular visits.

I've right clicked in the embedded video on the BBC and unchecked auto play. Checking properties gives me the full url for the embedded player and copied and pasted this into a new tab just in case. I still get the same result. The video content looks like it's downloading but then hangs, the firefox window greys then returns to colour. After a copule of minutes the message at bottom left changes form 'transferring data...' to 'Done' without anything else happening.

For the NFL it's slightly different with just a flashing 'play' icon showing after hitting the usual Firefiox play circle icon in the embedded viewer.

Not a happy noob at the moment and puzzled over what to try next...

Rob

Beans
    Distro

Woohoo - solved the problem by following the instructions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=flash

Thanks for the advice here and there