Thread: VLC Interface not normal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

VLC Interface not normal

What's up with the Ubuntu interface of VLC? It's really starting to bother me now. First off, the video output and interface are different windows which really annoys me. In fullscreen I would be able to see the controls when I move my mouse. But because the controls are in a separate window, the video output covers it up in fullscreen.

In the options I have integrate video in interface checked. idk why it doesn't work.

The first picture is mine in windows mode, the second is the one my dad has on his laptop(vista). The third is mine in fullscreen, the fourth is an image from google images in fullscreen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: VLC Interface not normal

This was caused by an error in VLC on linux which caused it to crash if the video output was launched in the same window as the menu's. It has been fixed upstream at the moment, but the ubuntu repos are slightly behind.

Essentially you can either wait for ubuntu to update and impliment these changes, or you can update it yourself(which could be rather complicated).
    Licat volaré si superturgum Aquila volat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: VLC Interface not normal

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    This was caused by an error in VLC on linux which caused it to crash if the video output was launched in the same window as the menu's. It has been fixed upstream at the moment, but the ubuntu repos are slightly behind.

Essentially you can either wait for ubuntu to update and impliment these changes, or you can update it yourself(which could be rather complicated).
    Awesome awesome awesome. works wonderfully now. For those of you who would like to know how to update VLC to get fullscreen controls and integrated video output, add
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/c-korn/vlc/ubuntu jaunty main

to you repositories(or hardy or intrepid depending on your version). Then go to synpatic,
    search for "vlc", and upgrade vlc which will also upgrade several other libraries and
    packages. Wait for it to download and then install and enjoy a less annoying version!
    Attached Images Attached Images