Thread: Redesigning the Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Redesigning the Interface

This is an idea thread. I was hoping we could generate some good ideas and maybe even work them into affect, so join in with any thoughts!

A main focus and first impression of many operating systems is the graphical user interface, the GUI. In terms of GUI in my opinion, the less space used for controls and buttons, the cleaner, the simpler, and the better for the average user.

With the default of not one, but two panels in Ubuntu, I think there's room for improvement here, but I think we can go farther. What if we redesign the controls altogether! Ubuntu Netbook remix did a cool job of this (see screenshot), but it still seems a little bulky.

What ideas do you have to keep all/most the functionality and ability to customize of the default panels, but save screen real estate and make it look nice and pretty??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Redesigning the Interface

Be able to change the menu bar font and not effect the whole system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with that for sure. It would make theming easier.

I think the Menu bar should be hidden as a button by default, either in the Title Bar, or in the Top Panel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FreezWay View Post
    Be able to change the menu bar font and not effect the whole system
    Gnome Color Chooser
    My Deviantart
    Doin' it GIMP style

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tk03759 View Post
    This is an idea thread. I was hoping we could generate some good ideas and maybe even work them into affect, so join in with any thoughts!

A main focus and first impression of many operating systems is the graphical user interface, the GUI. In terms of GUI in my opinion, the less space used for controls and buttons, the cleaner, the simpler, and the better for the average user.

With the default of not one, but two panels in Ubuntu, I think there's room for improvement here, but I think we can go farther. What if we redesign the controls altogether! Ubuntu Netbook remix did a cool job of this (see screenshot), but it still seems a little bulky.

What ideas do you have to keep all/most the functionality and ability to customize of the default panels, but save screen real estate and make it look nice and pretty??
    Redesigning the Interface = Gnome 3