Thread: Custom Login Screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Custom Login Screen

I have a public computer which runs Xubuntu 8.10. Although it is set to automatically log in guests when it is booted, it is common for guests to log out when they are finished. The next user is then faced with a login screen requiring username and password. The auto login does not seem to work in this situation.

It is my wish to modify the login screen to state the required username and password on the screen. Where is the image file for the login screen and can it be modified?

Thanks,

Theo

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Custom Login Screen

/usr/share/gdm/themes/<insert your gdm theme name here>

There is an xml file that defines the theme. In that file, there will most likely be a background image defined. Modify that image file to include the information that you desire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many thanks. It is so easy when you know where to look.

Theo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kiwited View Post
    I have a public computer which runs Xubuntu 8.10. Although it is set to automatically log in guests when it is booted, it is common for guests to log out when they are finished. The next user is then faced with a login screen requiring username and password. The auto login does not seem to work in this situation.

It is my wish to modify the login screen to state the required username and password on the screen. Where is the image file for the login screen and can it be modified?

Thanks,

Theo
    How about using timed login instead of automatic? That will log the guest user in after a set time and works even after logging out..