Thread: HOW-TO: Fix F-Spot time adjustment via patch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Talking HOW-TO: Fix F-Spot time adjustment via patch

Update:A new tutorial can be found here for users with 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS. This tutorial will not work with Lucid, since it uses F-Spot 0.6.1.5.

This is a tutorial, based on information gathered here, here and here. I chose to modify the original instruction at the first link so that we build and install the stable version, rather than the latest unstable version. Please read through the whole tutorial before you begin, so that you know what you are getting yourself in for. If you don't feel comfortable with this then don't take the chance, you might ruin something if you do it wrong.

Also, I'm not that great with Ubuntu and all this building from source stuff, but this is what I did to fix the problem described on the F-Spot bugzilla.

Backup F-Spot db
    Just in case something screws up...
    Code:
    cp ~/.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db ~/.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db.Stable
    Remove existing F-spot
    We will be installing a different version of F-Spot, so we need to remove the old version first.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove f-spot
    Install Prerequisite packages
    We need to make sure all dependencies are satisfied, so that we can compile and install the fixed f-spot. You will need to add this PPA repository to your Software Sources. Visit the link and follow the instruction there.
    Update: If you are using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala you do not need to add this repository, the main archives have the latest versions.
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install mono-mcs libmono-cairo2.0-cil automake automake1.9 libtool
    sudo apt-get build-dep f-spot
    NOTE: You will need to have "Source Code" selected in System->Administration->Software Sources

Create Directory for source code
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/source
    cd ~/source
    Download Source code
    This will download the f-spot source code from whatever repository you have specified in your Software Sources. This will normally just be the main Ubuntu repo.
    Code:
    apt-get source f-spot
    NOTE: Do NOT specify "sudo" in front of this command, or the files will go to the wrong place.

Get the patch
    Code:
    cd f-spot*
    wget http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=107860 -O f-spot_no-utc-time_340903.patch
    patch -p0 < f-spot_no-utc-time_340903.patch
    Compile, build, install
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    Hopefully this has worked for you. It took me a while to get it right, the "./configure" and "make" commands kept failing because I didn't have the right prerequisites. If this happens for you, try using Synaptic Package Manager to locate and install the package that is called for. This my be a bit tricky, for example the first time I ran "make" it said that "/usr/lib/mono/1.0/mcs.exe was not found". I had to install the "mono-mcs" package to get this to work. You should try a similar approach if you encounter "file not found" errors during the compile and make stages.

Make sure you keep the ~/source directory, if you need to uninstall later, then run:
    Code:
    cd ~/source/f-spot*
    sudo make uninstall
    Last edited by seanlano; March 13th, 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Update for Lucid release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOW-TO: Fix F-Spot time adjustment via patch

Hi "Sean",

thank you for your tutorial.
    I have a problem with my system. I run a ubuntu 8.10 64bit
    I added the Mono-repository (with the key too).
    I installed all the packages except libmono-cairo2.0-cil
    When i try to install it i receive the message:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    libmono-cairo1.0-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil
    libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono1.0-cil
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

If i try to install it from synaptic i have it installed at 1.9.1 version and if i mark it as upgrade i receive this error message in the window that says i canno t upgrade:

libmono-cairo2.0-cil:
    Depends: libcairo2 (>=1.8.0-2) but 1.8.0-0ubuntu1.1 is to be installed

Do you have some suggestion about that?

Thank you
    Alex
    Last edited by swdinesh; October 1st, 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

For older vesions of Ubuntu

I did this successfully on a 9.04 32-bit system, and I think the problem is that 8.10 has an older version of libcairo2. I think it could be possible to fix this by installing the Jaunty version of the libcairo2 package, from here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libcairo2. You might also need to install some of the listed dependencies on that page, such as libdirectfb-1.0-0.

So, download the Jaunty version of libcairo2, and try to install it directly by double-clicking on the saved package. If it says that libdirectfb-1.0.0 or anything else is missing or the wrong version, then try to get those packages as well from the Jaunty package site.

Finally, there is a chance that something could go wrong. Maybe the new versions of these packages will break older versions of other packages (but it's not likely). Just so you know, there is a small chance you might break your install, so do this at your own risk. You'll probably be fine though.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: For older vesions of Ubuntu

Thank you for you message.

I think i wait to do the change after my laptop reinstalling with 9.10
    I looked at the dependences but it´s too big replace with the new versions all the libraries involved so for now I wait...until 9.10 will be on my system then I´ll apply your guide.

thank you again
    Alex