Thread: server newb needs help

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

help setting up an xampp server

Hello, I'm trying to set up my first server and these are the components I have set up so far: XAMPP, under System>Administration>Network Tools when I preform a port scan port 80 comes back open to www, a domain name hosted with dyndns.com, and my wireless router connecting to dyndns.com. When I try to connect to the domain they gave me the browser times out before anything loads. What am I missing?/What can I double check? Thanks to all in advance. Dan
    Last edited by woodsonoversoul; September 16th, 2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Sorry, I just realized I posted a very similarly titled message not to long ago... Not trying to 'over question' you guys...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: server newb needs help

Quote Originally Posted by woodsonoversoul View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to set up my first server and these are the components I have set up so far: XAMPP, under System>Administration>Network Tools when I preform a port scan port 80 comes back open to www, a domain name hosted with dyndns.com, and my wireless router connecting to dyndns.com. When I try to connect to the domain they gave me the browser times out before anything loads. What am I missing?/What can I double check? Thanks to all in advance. Dan
    Go into the router settings, and set up port forwarding for port 80 to your server. If your router allows for a DMZ host, all the better, as that will automatically forward all ports to your server. Take a look here.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    Go into the router settings, and set up port forwarding for port 80 to your server. If your router allows for a DMZ host, all the better, as that will automatically forward all ports to your server. Take a look here.
    From my router:
    The Port Forwarding feature is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer so the Internet can see it.
    So while DMZ has it's advantages, forwarding all of your ports is not always the best idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TuckLive View Post
    From my router:

So while DMZ has it's advantages, forwarding all of your ports is not always the best idea.
    It is brilliant if all you are doing is hosting a web site, but if you want ssh, web administration, https, ftp, vmware server... you would have to set up a port forwarding rule for each. And, as long as you keep your computer up to date there is nothing to worry about.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am trying to set up a server for a single website. I believe I already have the port forwarded. When I go to my router's admin page and it's port forwarding options I see this set as the only port forwarded...
    # Service Name Start Port End Port Server IP Address
    1 HTTP 80 80 192.168.*.*
    Last edited by woodsonoversoul; September 12th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So my router says it is forwarded. Is there a way to check?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by woodsonoversoul View Post
    I am trying to set up a server for a single website. I believe I already have the port forwarded. When I go to my router's admin page and it's port forwarding options I see this set as the only port forwarded...
    # Service Name Start Port End Port Server IP Address
    1 HTTP 80 80 192.168.*.*
    Did you leave the *.* out on this thread. There in the port forward right ?

Also port forward the same thing with port 443.

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    It is brilliant if all you are doing is hosting a web site, but if you want ssh, web administration, https, ftp, vmware server... you would have to set up a port forwarding rule for each. And, as long as you keep your computer up to date there is nothing to worry about.
    Its still better to only forward the ports you actually need, all it would take is a a security vonribility in one of the servers running and you could be compromised. Always open as few ports as possible.

Run one of the online port scanners like the one at GRC https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, click on the proceed button then common ports, this will show your public IP(try accessing your site with this) and your open ports, 80 should show up as being open.
    Last edited by hessiess; September 12th, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Its still better to only forward the ports you actually need, all it would take is a a security vonribility in one of the servers running and you could be compromised. Always open as few ports as possible.

Run one of the online port scanners like the one at GRC https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, click on the proceed button then common ports, this will show your public IP(try accessing your site with this) and your open ports, 80 should show up as being open.
    However, chances are you will be forwarding the open ports anyway, so it doesn't really make a lot of difference.