bump for today

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: server newb needs help

bump for today...

Quote Originally Posted by woodsonoversoul View Post
    Wow. Just for a second today it almost worked. I've been playing with php/mysql/javascript/html for a little over 5 years, and today, for the first time, I almost had something on the web. Now it looks like somehow I've taken a step back and instead of showing the proper address in the url bar it just continually loads until timeout. I forwarded port 443, but then everything went haywire and now I can't even see the server on my local network, so I un-forwarded it. If I get things back to normal I'll try forwarding it again. Back to the drawing board. Any other ideas? Anything of mine (config files, etc.) anyone needs to see?

P.S. I'm not trying to be whiny, I just get really excited thinking how close I am...
    Your ISP may be blocking external access to ports.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ignore this post.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

okay. i think this is probably simpler than it looks to everyone. As a sidenote, I just setup my humble server with very little to-do. (web server and misc other services, mysql, tomcat, openssh).

First thing to note here: Some ISP's block port 80 for web serving, but really not too much anymore. However in my case, i locked down my DSL router's firewall soo tight, that it blocked my server unless I opened a DMZ to the server. off-hand, i use AT&T Uverse DSL.

So, if you use AT&T - log into your DSL router's config page (usually the IP is the one listed for "default gateway"). Go into the firewall advanced settings and open a DMZ to your server. If your server works now, then you have the "outbound firewall" settings too tight. You can keep a DMZ, or you can open a single port and uncheck security settings until your server works again.

That was my problem, which was "I can't get a connection from an outside computer."

The 192.168.x.x number is the local IP address for a "non-internet" network. You have to "go outside" this network by way of your router to get a "Internet IP" which your router probably has. Your router actually has the internet IP, and you forward ports or the entire IP range (DMZ) to your server. In the DMZ case, your server actually gets some random Internet IP number besides 192.x.x.x which... cuts off the ability to share locally, openly (like Windows XP - share folder to local network - easy), and securely from your server.

-------

Beyond that, there are endless things to check. Your computer could have a software firewall, but Ubuntu server does not have it on as default. When you get things setup, you want to turn it on. I had to make NO CHANGES to my ubuntu-server software firewall to get my server up and on the internet.

If you run your server through a wireless router (different than the DSL/Cable router)... it, too, can have a firewall, and you could also be sub-netting inside a subnet (off-hand, subnetting may not matter to this problem).

okay, i'm out for the day.

mandarin

Beans

Talking Re: server newb needs help

All,

These forums have been very helpful in the past...so hear goes my first request...

*Running Koala Deskop
    *XAMPP
    *Drupal

drupal directory is /opt..../htdocs/drupal

Am successful when opening browser and going to localhost -> drupal pops up.

Trying to be able to go to localhost/fileserver and get a apache index listing of all folders.

I have a second automatically mounted NTFS hard drive that I use for fileserver

I've modified vhosts & /etc/hosts file
    I've allowed in .conf files to read in httpd-vhosts.conf
    I've created a symbolic link from /media/fileshare to /opt/.../htdocs/drupal

they only thing i can think of is that I am logged in as a user who does not have ownership of /media/fileserver but have r+w access.

....please don't bump...
    thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345