Thread: Ubuntu and Comcast

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu and Comcast

My eMachines recently died on me and I've hooked a 2004 or 5 HP with 6.06.1 on it. The install was fine but I've hit the problem of not being able to acess the internet with Comcast with just my RCA modem or with my wireless router. Firefox keeps saying it cant acess the page. I've had Verizon on it before and that worked after Windows failed on it. I also had Comcast on a Ubuntu laptop after Windows died on it. I had Comcast send out a signal yet it never worked and they gave no further assistance due to them not "supporting" Linux. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu and Comcast

I'm running comcast and it works fine. Take a look at the OS-X (apple) setup and follow OSX's howto. OSX is nothing but BSD Unix. There will be some differences, but they will be minor.

Beans

Sorry, but this is all foreign to me. The link light on my modem is off, in Network Tools loopback is default and in Networking ppp0 is off and eth0 is active but I cant put it on default. I have DHCP on but no information for IP, Subnet, or Gateway is displayed. What is going on?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

If the link light on the modem is off then that's no good. I have Comcast and a RCA cable modem. Sometimes I find dissconnecting everything from the modem and opening the back pulling out the battery for a couple of minutes sometimes helps.

We get a lot of t-storms here so somethings always wonky.

It could always be Comcast to.

Beans

I tried and the same thing happens. This is really getting to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have comcast and mine's working fine but my nieghbor got the same plan at the same time and is running the same distro and his suddenly conked out. I'm on my way over to try pulling the battery out of the modem as Wojox recomended.

Beans

Is it possible to use Static IP and copy whats being displayed in Network on my PS3?