Thread: how to compress files and include full path??

Beans

Arrow how to compress files and include full path??

Hi all!!!

I need to archive some files but include their full path from the root. However I don't need all the files in the folder they reside in. Using file-roller it does not include the full path if I just add a file, and if I add a folder it includes ALL the files in that folder. Winzip has this feature, but I'm not using winzip lol.

This doesn't seem to be that great of a task, I've just been searching for a while and still no luck. I want to create a gzip, or tar.gz or something like that of some files. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!!!

Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: how to compress files and include full path??

maybe i've misunderstood, but why not:
    Code:
    tar -C / -cPzf ~/myarchive.tar.gz ~/file1 ~/Documents/file2 ~/Music/file3
    etc...

Beans

I'd rather save 30+ mins and use a gui rather than having to type ever filename and path.

In referring to file-roller, I'm speaking in context of a GUI. Thanks though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

fair enough. but just saying ... depending on how you are choosing what to archive I wouldn't rule out the command line. It is almost always quicker than a GUI (once you know what you are doing And it most definitely doesn't involve 30mins of typing out long lists of files -- there are lots of ways to include/exclude files based on patterns, attributes, etc. But whatever works best for you.