Thread: Dell Inspiron 1420n - headphones - no sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dell Inspiron 1420n - headphones - no sound

I'm running Hardy on my Dell Inspiron 1420n. Everything works great, except.... I have been unable to get output from the headphone jacks on the front. (Sound is fine from the speakers.) Nothing I've tried gets sound to come out, and plugging a headphone into the jack(s) does not mute the speakers.

$ aplay -l reports:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Conexant HSF Modem [Conexant HSF Modem]
    Subdevices: 0/1

I think I've got the right settings in alsa-mixer. Master, Headphone, PCM, Front, and Surround are all enabled, not muted, and set to reasonably high volume levels. I've seen a variety of suggestions for settings. One I've tried is to set "Mic as Output".

I've tried a couple of settings in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, setting options snd-hda-intel model= to "dell", "dell-3stack", etc. No luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Dave Kristol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Dell Inspiron 1420n - headphones - no sound

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Its fixed on Intrepid and Jaunty as well, if you want to do a distro upgrade. (run update-manager -d and it will find it). I had the same problem on my 1720.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just a note- the instructions at the bottom that say outdated worked for me on Hardy. Just a thought though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Zifnab06 View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Its fixed on Intrepid and Jaunty as well, if you want to do a distro upgrade. (run update-manager -d and it will find it). I had the same problem on my 1720.
    Thanks. That's the first page I've seen (should have seen it long ago, I guess) that directs me to the set of model= options. I'm making a little progress, I guess: plugging the headphones into the jack(s) now mutes the speakers, but I still get no sound. As I said before, I'm pretty sure I've got the mixer settings okay.

None of the options in ALSA-Configuration.txt match my system or sound chip, at least not exactly. I've tried a couple of the settings, without success. Trying them one at a time will take me more time than I can devote right now. I'll report back if I stumble in the proper incantation.

As for upgrading to intrepid/jaunty, I'm very skittish about messing with something that's working pretty well for me. When I try to upgrade, I want lots of time to pick up any broken pieces. This is the ALSA version I'm running:
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18.
    Compiled on May 4 2009 for kernel 2.6.24-24-generic (SMP).
    That looks pretty up to date.

Thanks.
    Dave Kristol