Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Or Real?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Fake Or Real?

Buddy of mine sent this to me. He said he dug a disk out of an old box he found while digging around in Government Declassified files.

I say it looks fake.

http://www.techsonic.net/patrick.pdf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Fake Or Real?

um...yeah, he's winding you up....

If you believe that you'll believe anything.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I prefer real -- oh, wait, we're not talking about women.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thumbs down Re: Fake Or Real?

He's messing with you... Or is he...

(cue scary music, preferably organ music)

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20266

'Since 2002, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) has spent a half-million dollars a year creating a database it claims is "arguably the largest repository of 16-25 year-old youth data in the country, containing roughly 30 million records."'

I know... the file you posted has dates before that... Not to worry.

'It was initiated in 2002 and even then, she said, it was not a new project, simply a way to centralize information. "The individual services (Army, Navy, etc.) have been collecting this data since being authorized by Congress to do so in 1982."'

Ah... good stuff huh =)
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans

If you buy that, can I interest you in this beautiful seaside property in the middle of the Sahara? For you, I'll give a special price.
    A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree -- Proverbs 11:28 (MSG)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Most of that information is stuff he would never of known, that and location, I never told him I used to live in Iowa... I say it's fake because of the way it looks, but then again.... Where the fug did he get that info? It's dead on!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

It's bollocks :T -- Why?

. The US government would have detailed information with dates and addresses, and your SSN, etc..

. All that data would be in a terse database so it could be indexed and searched, plus cross referenced.

. A picture would most likely come from an existing database (such as passport, drivers license) and be in a standard format with proper lighting and such.

. There is no classified information in the document, TO declassify, unless a whole bunch of it was "removed" ?

. Classifed information needs levels of clearance, and would be totally useless on a database where multiple orgs would want to look at it..

. File came from a thrown away hdd? certain branches of the government DESTROY computers with _blank hdds_ that they haven't even USED not ONCE rather than risk losing data they weren't meant to leak!

. The file was created with OpenOffice.org 2.0, which came out on 2005/10/20 -- Hah.

SO I'm bored at work, we messed up and threw away a bunch of hdd's with declassified but PR problematic data, yeah.. gotta cover ALL that up..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by TechSonic
    Buddy of mine sent this to me. He said he dug a disk out of an old box he found while digging around in Government Declassified files.

I say it looks fake.

http://www.techsonic.net/patrick.pdf
    If you'll believe that, you'll believe anything.

Beans
    Hidden!

this thread absolutely cannot be serious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For christ sake! Do you really believe this is real?

There are no reference numbers what so ever on the page. There are also no symbols or logo's indicating to which government departement it belongs and etc. The joker probably used Paint to make this!
    Linux Is Not Windows | www.derekdjons.nl | The 'XT' under the Rebels.
    Registered Linux User #406653 | Translator @ Launchpad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast