Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited

Beans

Talking Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited

Hi, I'm back!

I installed the latest DDO on a friend's computer and transferred the files to my Ubuntu. It runs fine in Wine, but the graphics remain an issue. The 3d Acceleration seems to be the only issue now, and I'm seeking help for that elsewhere, but I wanted to give an update on how the help from this thread was working. Thank you all very much for you help! I'm almost there! Please let me know if there is anything I may find helpful to tweak in DDO to help with graphics performance. It's really slow, choppy, laggy you name it! I can't move hardly at all, and even the menu takes minutes to click on something, (not to mention copious amounts of patience!). But, it does run, so I am excited about that success!

Beans

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited

You can try setting all graphic options to off/minimal in ddo, then upping one at a time to see if theres one in particular that impacts performance.

Also, if using a 3d accelerated desktop it may be worth switching to 2d before running games.

It may run better inside quests than in town, as all the people running around trigger lots of loading and memory usage.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jeek Elemental View Post
    You can try setting all graphic options to off/minimal in ddo, then upping one at a time to see if theres one in particular that impacts performance.

Also, if using a 3d accelerated desktop it may be worth switching to 2d before running games.

It may run better inside quests than in town, as all the people running around trigger lots of loading and memory usage.
    Thank you; I will try that.

I can't seem to get past Shipwreck shore on my new character; the movement wasn't working, but that might have been the network latency. Thank you thank you for the advice! Very helpful.

Beans

I have pretty much everything set as low as possible without turning everything into a blob in the fog. I also am using the plain, "no frills" gnome desktop environment, and despite my dislike for it it seems to have helped a little with loading screen duration and a small amount of lag in the menus and game environment.
    Despite all this, I have found that when I do enter the game, it allows me to do everything, (with an expected delay of course), EXCEPT moving my character forward and backward. I can rotate my character, but it is so slow that I sometimes forget which direction I told it to rotate, and I'm somewhat suspicious that it went the wrong way! I asked a friend here at school who is a little into Linux, and he said to try using something called "Can You Run It?" I tried to use it, but I need a Java update that I can't seem to install properly.
    One of the main things I think may be affecting the performance is my incomplete updates to my Graphics drivers. My update manager shows one update every time it opens, but the check-box can't be clicked; I don't know why. I think it's an important update related to my graphics software, so any advice to point me towards an appropriate forum thread for these issues would be much appreciated. Sorry if I went a little off topic from the context of DDO, but I though Jeek Elemental might want to know how our efforts together have been developing, and I trust he might have good pointers for me. Thanks pal! I owe you one for even getting this installed!

Beans

type
    Code:
    glxinfo |grep direct
    in a terminal and verify that it says "direct rendering: yes"

Switch off any antialiasing, both in the settings program for your card and inside ddo (below screenmode if I remember). You can try a lower screenmode aswell.

Run ddo from a terminal and check the log there after exiting ddo if theres any juicy error messages.

Quote Originally Posted by njrob View Post
    I have pretty much everything set as low as possible without turning everything into a blob in the fog. I also am using the plain, "no frills" gnome desktop environment, and despite my dislike for it it seems to have helped a little with loading screen duration and a small amount of lag in the menus and game environment.
    Despite all this, I have found that when I do enter the game, it allows me to do everything, (with an expected delay of course), EXCEPT moving my character forward and backward. I can rotate my character, but it is so slow that I sometimes forget which direction I told it to rotate, and I'm somewhat suspicious that it went the wrong way! I asked a friend here at school who is a little into Linux, and he said to try using something called "Can You Run It?" I tried to use it, but I need a Java update that I can't seem to install properly.
    One of the main things I think may be affecting the performance is my incomplete updates to my Graphics drivers. My update manager shows one update every time it opens, but the check-box can't be clicked; I don't know why. I think it's an important update related to my graphics software, so any advice to point me towards an appropriate forum thread for these issues would be much appreciated. Sorry if I went a little off topic from the context of DDO, but I though Jeek Elemental might want to know how our efforts together have been developing, and I trust he might have good pointers for me. Thanks pal! I owe you one for even getting this installed!

Beans

Run ddo from a terminal and check the log there after exiting ddo if theres any juicy error messages.
    How do I run ddo in a terminal? I can't seem to figure out how to ask it to run a file at the command line level.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

From command line terminal
    Code:
    pylotro
    Dev Testing since 6.10 Edgy Eft. YES I KNOW WHAT THAT DOES!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmandt View Post
    From command line terminal
    Code:
    pylotro
    Code:
    neal@ubuntu:~$ pylotro
    pylotro: command not found
    neal@ubuntu:~$ sudo pylotro
    [sudo] password for neal: 
    sudo: pylotro: command not found
    neal@ubuntu:~$
    I'm not sure I'm doing this right at all! lol

Beans

You are probably using the windows version of pylotro, which is fine.
    Note that you should never run wine as super user, it won't help anything and can really make a mess of things.

If your ddo install is in the default .wine directory just cd to there:

Code:
    cd /home/$user/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/PyLotRO
    Change this to your actual path.
    Then run

Code:
    wine pylotro.exe
    If you have a separate directory for ddo, you must tell wine to use that:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/home/$user/.yourddodir wine pylotro.exe

Quote Originally Posted by njrob View Post
    Code:
    neal@ubuntu:~$ pylotro
    pylotro: command not found
    neal@ubuntu:~$ sudo pylotro
    [sudo] password for neal: 
    sudo: pylotro: command not found
    neal@ubuntu:~$
    I'm not sure I'm doing this right at all! lol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hmmm, interesting, i just installed and ran the windows version of pylotro. once installed i clicked on it and it would not work. however running it from command line worked and anyway i ran it from that point on worked (clicked or shortcutted from desktop). But for some reason had to run it from command line first. cd'd into the directory and the ran wine pylotro.exe.

for me this is:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/PyLotRO
    wine pylotro.exe
    Dev Testing since 6.10 Edgy Eft. YES I KNOW WHAT THAT DOES!!!

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast