Thread: Using own domain with email

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Using own domain with email

This is a question to anyone who owns their own domain name. I've owned one since 2001, which I registered partly for a nice website address, and partly because I kept annoying my friends and family with my constant changing of email address

I used to use a webmail service called FastMail. I paid for the enhanced service so that I could point my domain MX or A records (I forget which) to them and use the domain for my incoming and outgoing email address. Since I stopped paying for it, I now use Yahoo Mail and have email forwarding set up at my registrar. It works, but it's never felt like a very clean way of doing things, since my outgoing email will come from @yahoo.co.uk with a reply-to address of my domain.

Do you guys use any webmail services (free or otherwise) that allow you to use your own domain? I talked to Yahoo technical support and apparently they do not support it, even with their premium service. I don't mind moving providers though. Or alternatively, do any of you use the email service provided by your registrar? For example, my registrar provides email and web forwarding for free, and charge £1.25 a month or something for hosting my email (i.e. allowing my incoming and outgoing address to use my domain properly)... Only thing is, I'm not sure the webmail system will be as advanced as say Yahoo's or Gmail's and it doesn't seem to provide unlimited storage like they do, despite not being free.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd be interested to know what other domain owners do with their domains.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Using own domain with email

Quote Originally Posted by Ozor Mox View Post
    I'm not sure the webmail system will be as advanced as say Yahoo's or Gmail's and it doesn't seem to provide unlimited storage like they do, despite not being free.
    Is there a reason you don't want to use Google?

http://www.google.com/a

Select the Standard link for free service, which is essentially equivalent to their standard Gmail.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just use gmail for the email on my domains. When I add a new domain to my DreamHost account for hosting there's a checkbox to add MX records for Gmail automatically, then it's just a case of setting up a Google Apps account for the domain.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Barrucadu View Post
    I just use gmail for the email on my domains. When I add a new domain to my DreamHost account for hosting there's a checkbox to add MX records for Gmail automatically, then it's just a case of setting up a Google Apps account for the domain.
    +1
    Ive done basically the same thing with all my domains for the past 2 years and I've never had any problems