Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muekow chroot error on client build

Beans

Unhappy muekow chroot error on client build

I have searched the forums and the web and have not found an answer to this which is both understandable and relevant. I've installed a muekow LTSP server on 64bit Ubuntu 9.04, now I am trying to build a 32bit client from a CD Mirror. Both the command I use and the error I receive are listed below.

Code:
    simon@muekow:~$ sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386 --mirror file:///cdrom
    NOTE: adding default dist and components to security mirror:
    http://security.ubuntu.com//ubuntu jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
    I: Retrieving Release
    I: Retrieving Packages
    I: Validating Packages
    I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
    I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
    I: Checking component main on file:///cdrom...
    I: Retrieving libatm1
    I: Validating libatm1
    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 mount -t proc proc /proc
    error: LTSP client installation ended abnormally
    simon@muekow:~$
    It is probably worth noting that if I install without the CD-ROM mirror setting I get the same error. There is no /bin directory in "/opt/ltsp/i386", and from my understanding chroot needs this, but if so why might it not be created?

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Last edited by inyoka; September 10th, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Unhappy Re: muekow chroot error on client build

I decided to build my own chroot environment using debootstrap. I customized the instructions here. Changed everything in schroot.conf to use jaunty :
    Code:
    [jaunty]
    description=Ubuntu Jaunty Client
    location=/opt/ltsp/i386
    priority=3
    groups=sbuild, users
    root-groups=root
    and this is what happened :
    Code:
    simon@muekow:/$ sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 jaunty /opt/ltsp/i386 file:///cdrom
    I: Retrieving Release
    I: Retrieving Packages
    I: Validating Packages
    I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
    I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
    I: Checking component main on file:///cdrom...
    I: Retrieving build-essential
    I: Validating build-essential
    I: Retrieving dpkg-dev
    I: Validating dpkg-dev
    I: Retrieving g++-4.3
    I: Validating g++-4.3
    I: Retrieving libstdc++6-4.3-dev
    I: Validating libstdc++6-4.3-dev
    I: Retrieving g++
    I: Validating g++
    I: Retrieving patch
    I: Validating patch
    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 mount -t proc proc /proc
    simon@muekow:/$
    As you can see I get to the same error. It also only created the following directories in /opt/ltsp/i386 : "debootstrap" "dev" "etc" "var" so still no "bin" directory.

Any help gratefully received.
    Last edited by inyoka; September 11th, 2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Decreased sarcasm

Beans

Re: muekow chroot error on client build

Okay so I tried a couple of things which may or may not help. I completely reinstalled the terminal server and found something that may be relevant.

During a routine install of muekow on a 64bit server, I can only get the installation to build clients correctly if I do NOT setup the network settings during the installation. If I enter an IP address and subnet mask etc. then after trying to build the 64bit client it gives an error saying client build failed (or something similar, I got the error last thing on Friday).

If I do not setup the network it builds correctly. This lead me to believe I might be able to use ltsp-build-client if I did not setup the network before hand. However this was not the case and the installation continues to fail with the error listed above.

< Jono Bacon

Okay if there are people reading this and they are unable to fix my problem there is something that would help me solve this problem by helping to experiment more.

Question : How can I use ltsp-build-client with the /var/cache/apt/archives from a previous install? I am using a cdrom mirror command ATM but would like to build from a local repo of packages. It would be nice to get some input on this thread from someone other than me

Beans

Exclamation Re: muekow chroot error on client build

I answered my own question.

Use the "Administrator > USB Startup Disk Creator" option (on a 32bit machine for 32bit clients etc) create a bootable usb drive. Then copy the dists folder from the USB onto your hard. For example I put mine in my home in a directory called archives "/home/simon/archives"

Then I used the following command :
    Code:
    sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386 --mirror file:/home/simon/archives
    This now enables me to use ltsp-build-client without needin a cd-rom or an internet connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Couldn't you just have created the missing bin directory?

Beans

Cool Re: muekow chroot error on client build

Perhaps, I have tried copying a bin directory from another 32 bit computer, however its not just the bin directory that's missing. There are 20 directories in the amd64 folder.

From what I can tell the ltsp-build-client isn't building a standard ubuntu install, but a stripped down client with the ltsp client software installed. You cannot run ltsp-build-client with an existing /opt/ltsp/i386 directory, so the command requires you to start from scratch.

This would require me to run the command, and copy all the omitted directories across in the 2 seconds the command takes to produce the error.

Alternatively I could find a second computer, reinstall muekow in a 32bit envorinment and then copy the directory over, then go through the settings on the 64bit server to ensure it knows there is a 32bit client. However I would prefer to just be able to run ltsp-build-client. Somebody somewhere must have run the command at some point and had it work, right???

Beans

Smile Re: muekow chroot error on client build

My internet connection is pretty poor but I'm in the process of downloading Virtual box. If I can install Muekow on that I'll copy the complete 32bit client environment over and see if I can jury rig it to work.

I have to download the 32bit alternate jaunty first though and that may take me a day or so (the pleasures of living in Indonesia) anyway if anyone thinks of a fix in the meantime I'd rather avoid the downloading. Otherwise I'll post again in a couple of days when I have something to report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This project (muekow) doesn't look like it has been updated in over 2 years. I may be wrong, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

I am migrating an ageing Fedora 4 LTSP installation to Ubuntu. There tends to not be very many updates to LTSP, and Ubuntu's appears to be as new as anyone else's. I just need a new OS so I can get security updates and reasonably recent plug-ins.

Ubuntu are still linking to it in their marketing, I would hope they wouldn't push it if it's a dead duck. My clients are all PXE booting with no hard-disks, and no budget, so LTSP is the only option. I really just want to get up to speed before deploying (or dist-upgrading to) 10.04.
    Last edited by inyoka; September 14th, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

I have some problems with VirtualBox not capturing mouse input, or even some keyboard commands correctly. The upshot being I cannot install LTSP 32bit server in VirtualBox.

I might format the server to 32bit, copy the i386 directory then re-install. However I only have tomorrow before a week long holiday with no access to my office. If that doesn't work then I think I will give up, at least until 10.04 when hopefully the bug will be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast