Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Source Newspaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Open Source Newspaper

Yeah we can talk. I don't use Skype though. Email me: deathoftheweb@gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a fascinating effort on your part, and many gold stars to try this. I hope that this all works out well. Perhaps if it does indeed work out, you might write an article about your adventure. It might encourage other small businesses to try the Linux approach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRes View Post
    The cost of retraining your staff to use open source alternatives may be more expensive than just updating commercial software.

I feel your pain though, newspapers are going under all over the place, budgets are real tight.
    True, but I've read of larger companies doing a cost analysis of paying for software licenses to update computers vs the cost of retraining staff to use open source software. In many cases, the cost of retraining staff is much lower. Also the cost on ongoing maintenance is lower. I'm not sure of smaller companies though.

So basically, you need to look at the cost of updating your computers with (proprietary software + maintenance of said software) vs. (cost of training + maintenance).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We have about 4 computers at the company that run Ubuntu 9.10. They work wonderfully. Three of them are used for email, word processing, etc. The other one is used for web development. They don't get viruses, they don't ever crash, and they print to the network printer.

We have a few computers that run Quickbooks and we need to upgrade. We're going to have to upgrade Quickbooks and its going to cost a small fortune. I wish I could find some kind of online service that could do all our accounting. They have QuickBooks online, but apparently that won't hold all our data. If I found some sort of cloud based accounting system, then the accountants could use Ubuntu and we could get rid of their virus-ridden Windows boxes. Our accountant uses Windows XP and she got a virus on her computer today.

I also need to note that our content writers and designers are still laying pages out in Quark. We aren't using Scribus. They did layout a couple pages for the newspaper in Scribus and printed them. They looked fine, but the editor has some issues with it. I don't remember what he said they were. I'll find out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For acounting you could look into Amberdms. It is a free open source accounting suite that I have coincidentally just been reading about. It looks very promising. It is made as a web application but you can run it from your own server too. They also provide commercial support for a fee.

http://www.amberdms.com
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by crlang13 View Post
    True, but I've read of larger companies doing a cost analysis of paying for software licenses to update computers vs the cost of retraining staff to use open source software. In many cases, the cost of retraining staff is much lower. Also the cost on ongoing maintenance is lower. I'm not sure of smaller companies though.

So basically, you need to look at the cost of updating your computers with (proprietary software + maintenance of said software) vs. (cost of training + maintenance).
    The problem with much larger staffs is that you have a variety of abilities in learning. Some people learn very quickly and are up to speed in a day, others take much longer.

I remember this when we switched over from dedicated word processors to Windows and Mac based processors. Some could just not get the hang of computers, mostly do to fears of "erasing everything". I hate to sound "ageist" here, but usually this occurred in most of the older secretaries (this was well over 30 years ago and all of them were women who grew up on typewriters). In my advanced age, I too see the problem of adapting to "new fangled" machines. However, while the training took some time, most everyone was up to speed within a week.

I think a small staff of a handful of people and very adaptable people, you should not have any real cost issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12