Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Beans

Talking Re: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Quote Originally Posted by pismo View Post
    To boot your mac make sure you have the Cd in the drive then restart and hold the option key down till you see both your hard drive and the Cd icon
    its like a menu then click on the Cd icon then the the arrow on the right hand side,when you have Mac OS x installed you have hold down the option key as this how to boot into it

Dude YES!

YOU ARE THE MAN. The key combo's weren't at all what i needed, turns out it's just the OPTION KEY. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Beans

Re: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Oh and, THANK YOU.

Beans

alright so. I just loaded from the ubuntu 9.04 live cd for PPC. It looked like it was going to work, then it did this

boot: [C[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ etc etc...

is this supposed to happen?
    the reason i ask, is because the [[[['s stopped at about the third line and it's just sitting there ...

Beans

I read the info, imagine that, i loaded.....

live video=ofonly

still reading from cd rom.... looking good so far.

Beans

So it eventually did load, Ubuntu 9.04 PPC installed without any problems. The startup and shutdown take about 5-8 seconds longer than Mac OSX, but within the operating system I think Ubuntu beats OSX hands down as far as speed goes.

There is one little thing about Ubuntu that isn't working correctly right now, that would be the loading screen, where you see the logo and Ubuntu name with the loading bar, at startup, its all funky colored, green and grey/black and when it shuts down, its just black and white. Is there anyway to fix this, or to change the loading screen to just black/white?

Beans

Hi, make sure also you are downloading a power pc ppc image and not i386 or amd64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I have never tried it on a G3 but I do know from experience with some of my peers that use G3 systems have much better luck and performance with Debian PowerPC.

The Ubuntu family are much better off on G4/G5 when it comes to PowerPC. Ubuntu is Debian based so the app availability will be very similar. It comes with GNOME as the default GUI just like Ubuntu used to.

Here is the link to get it if you wish to try it out:
    http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Quote Originally Posted by fudge333 View Post
    Hi, make sure also you are downloading a power pc ppc image and not i386 or amd64
    You replied to a 3 year old topic which was solved 3 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12