Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows7 not booting after GParted resize

Beans

Re: Windows7 not booting after GParted resize

Quote Originally Posted by jsoellner View Post
    How big was the windows partition before you started? How much did you resize it by?
    It started at probably around 950gb (it is a 1000gb drive) I shaved 150gb off the end. It seems rediculous to me that windows couldn't just stick to the first 800gb...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When i go searching for answers - alway enjoy finding something written by Herman. he does his research. Part of this post Dual boot with Windows 7 RC
    There was a bug in GParted Live CD quite some time back which had nothing at all to do with GParted in Ubuntu. Apparently the GParted LiveCD was made with a small program omitted which was for updating the Windows boot sector if the start of the Windows partition is moved.
    The OP did not mention which version of Gparted he used. But it appears problems like his are fixable.

Another post of intrest in the same thread has this to say:
    Here's an image to show the 'Round to cylinders' checkbox.
    This is what is not shown in the how-to geek's site.
    If people would remove the checkmark from that checkbox before resizing their Windows 7 or Vista partition then GParted will leave the start point of that partition at sector number 2048 instead of moving it to sector number 63.
    That's what we should be telling people.
    Then their partition resize would be faster and they would not need to go through the additional inconvenient procedures advised in the how-to geek's site.
    That site is good for helping people after they have already made the mistake, but it's not helpful and may even be misleading for people who want to use up to date versions of GParted for resizing Windows.

There's no need to look for any checkbox to clear in the Ubuntu installer's partitioner though, and it doesn't move the partition, so it's quite safe and has been all along.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by louieb View Post
    When i go searching for answers - alway enjoy finding something written by Herman. he does his research. Part of this post Dual boot with Windows 7 RC
    The OP did not mention which version of Gparted he used. But it appears problems like his are fixable.

Another post of intrest in the same thread has this to say:
    I downloaded and burned a Ubuntu 9.04 install disk/livecd, the Gparted I used was whatever was on the ubuntu livecd. I originally tried the ubuntu install method (the slider bar) to create a 150gb partition for ubuntu right off the bat, but like I said, it only partitioned 2.5gb for some reason. So after that I used the livecd to boot ubuntu so that I could resize the partitions with the gparted that came on the livecd. I can check what version of gparted it is when I get home.

LewRockwell is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

so what has happened is that your previous windows partition began at 2048 and gparted changed that to 63.

our inclination is that you have not lost all your data(especially given the size of the drive and windows partition overall).

your windows recovery/repair fails because from it's perspective, what it "sees" is a completely goofed partition which might contain big nasties(how else could it get that way...windows "thinks")

on our tech bench we would boot up a Puppy Linux LiveCD and rescue anything we could find

then, if necessary, we could use Testdisk and/or Photorec to attempt any further rescuing required

once you've retrieved everything you want then your best bet would be to do a complete fresh install

this probably isn't the silver bullet you were looking for but...hey, that's life at the tech bench

****It should also be noted that if you have very valuable data on the drive and you feel uncomfortable attempting the recovery yourself, there are commercial/retail recovery services to do this for you but you'll probably spend a couple Bennys on it****

keep us posted on how it goes for you

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sneakytiki22 View Post
    I have been running Ubuntu since it happened last thurday. Would that foil the plan? What kind of use would close this option to me?
    No, I doubt this will ruin anything. The only concern is that since the windows partition doesn't exist according to Ubuntu, it might try use the disk where windows used to be, and overwrite some of the data. It's unlikely though, as the Ubuntu partition shouldn't overlap anything. The only things that may have been damaged is anything that windows might have stuck at the end of the partition -.-, as jsoeellner said.

Anyway, keep us posted on how the testdisk goes, and if you ever need to do anything related to windows partitions, that How-to-geek reference is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by LewRockwell View Post
    on our tech bench we would boot up a Puppy Linux LiveCD and rescue anything we could find

then, if necessary, we could use Testdisk and/or Photorec to attempt any further rescuing required

once you've retrieved everything you want then your best bet would be to do a complete fresh install
    I agree with LewRockwell. Try Testdisk it's pretty snappy. Check this page - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Beans

Attached is a screenshot of GParted screen

Here is the output of the TestDisk analysis

Code:
    TestDisk 6.10, Data Recovery Utility, July 2008
    Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
    http://www.cgsecurity.org

Disk /dev/sda - 1000 GB / 931 GiB - CHS 121602 255 63
         Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
    L HPFS - NTFS              0  32 33 101144 254 63 1624892377
    L Linux                121276   1  1 121578 254 63    4867632
    L Linux Swap           121579   1  1 121600 254 63     353367

Structure: Ok.  Use Up/Down Arrow keys to select partition.
    Use Left/Right Arrow keys to CHANGE partition characteristics:
    *=Primary bootable  P=Primary  L=Logical  E=Extended  D=Deleted
    Keys A: add partition, L: load backup, T: change type, P: list files,
         Enter: to continue
    NTFS, 831 GB / 774 GiB
    I went ahead and wrote to disk. Now I have to reboot, and we will see what happens.

Beans

So now my GParted screen looks like the attached. I'm not sure if what happened is good or bad, but at least now I can mount sda5 on the liveCD and SEE that my files still exist. Also, the partition I originally grew to 150gb shrunk back down to 2.32gb, and the 150gb is now unallocated.

I tried booting from drive and Grub won't load. Gives error 17.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The 2nd Gparted screen-shot looks like a mix of good and bad.
    The good part is the 1st partition is now recognized as NTFS and you can see your data.

The bad part is its now a logical partition. In order to make it so windows will boot - You should have chosen Primary - boot-able in testdisk for the 1st partition.

What I would have expected to see is the 1st partition (the 700+GB one) be a primary partition with the boot flag on.

The other two probably should have been logical but it really does not matter if their primary or logical.

At this point looks like it time to copy the data off. and your probably looking at a reinstall.

But if you want to try - use testdisk to change partition 1 back to a primary bootable. Then get a Super Grub Disk or a PartedMagicCD - it has Super Grub also. Super Grub has super cow powers and you may be able to get it boot windows - and it should be able to boot your linux install. doesn't hurt to try.
    Last edited by louieb; September 9th, 2009 at 02:39 AM.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I'm not sure if 7 is the same but with XP you could stick the installation disk in and go to 'Repair'. In there you can run help I think and there is a command containing 'chkdisk'. Run that. Then 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr'.

Of course, none of this might work in 7 but fixed things when I did exactly the same thing as you running XP.
    I said this in post #2! If your Windows install disk can get you to a 'Repair' screen, these commands would have fixed your original situation 99% guaranteed.

The really easy way is to download supergrubdisk iso, burn a cd and boot from it. That will sort things out quick smart as far as booting goes unless the important bits are now irrevocably moved about (and you might even learn something about grub along the way as it can be educational).

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

One other thing: ALWAYS defrag your windows drive before shrinking. The way data is handled 90Gb of data can be scattered all over a 200Gb partition with gaps everywhere. That will give you VERY inaccurate readings of how much you can shrink.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 9th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast