Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I limit ssh connection attempts via UFW?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I limit ssh connection attempts via UFW?

Thank you cdenley for your assistance.

@ jocampo

See : http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/iptables/

To see your rules, you should ;

Code:
    sudo iptables -L -v
    Please note, UFW is a nice set of rules, but it is a bit complicated to follow as they use a number of user specified chains.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Still! No success....

Here's is what I'm doing in that order....

Code:
    sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
    sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw
    I can not connect via ssh! I tested with nmap and says

Code:
    PORT   STATE    SERVICE
    22/tcp filtered ssh
    which of course, results on my connection problem...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Found a workaround but disappointed with myself My main goal was combine that with UFW but for some reason is not working. Part of the problem was the virtual machine itself; UFW was not working properly, I discovered that with "nmap". So I uninstall and reinstall and that fixed the problem. However, when combining UFW and IPTABLES something happen that the ssh port become filtered instead of open.

My workaround is with IPTABLES only

Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT 1 -i lo -j ACCEPT
    In that specific order.

Honestly? not so sure about the syntax like what NEW, recent or update is for, but I'll investigate.

Armed with denyhost plus these basic rules the script kiddies will go away or think twice when checking how to break into my server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You are having two problems

1. UFW re-writes your rules. So when you enable ufw you are removing your manual rules you added with your iptables command.

To add them with ufw you will need to edit /etc/ufw/before.rules

Code:
    -A ufw-before-input  -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
    and on ...

IMO you are best using one or the other, not both.

2. I think this has been mentioned in this thread already, but ...

ORDER of the rules is CRITICAL

When you put

-p tcp -dport ssh -j ACCEPT

that is is, ssh is accepted, no further rules are processed.

3. Random comment: You probably do not need both a rule to limit ssh in iptables / ufw and deny hosts, one or the other.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
    Code:
    sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
    sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw
    You're inserting the second rule before the first. The "-I" switch inserts the rule at the top, unless you specify the position to insert it at.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=9
    Code:
    man iptables
    If you want to allow connections to a server, you do have to configure UFW to allow it.
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow ssh/tcp
    sudo ufw status
    man ufw
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    1. UFW re-writes your rules. So when you enable ufw you are removing your manual rules you added with your iptables command.
    I think it used to, but UFW in jaunty seems to leave the INPUT, OUTPUT, and FORWARD chains intact so it will not interfere with user-defined rules. However, I also suggest using /etc/ufw/before.rules so the rules are persistent and they are put in the right place.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    If you want to configure UFW to add those custom iptables rules, add this to /etc/ufw/before.rules before "COMMIT":
    Code:
    -A ufw-before-input -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
    -A ufw-before-input -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
    Also, I agree that using denyhosts and iptables rate-limiting is a bit redundant. I can't imagine a scenario where limiting connections would offer more security if they are banned after a few failed authentication attempts anyway, except perhaps a DoS attack which didn't involve authentication.
    Last edited by cdenley; September 9th, 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, my issue is that for some reason, no matter of the already configured threshold for my denyhost file, people are running brute force attacks and server allow them to check for passwords 6,7 or 8 times, not using the limit I put. After that is blocked, yes, but wanted to enforce the rule via iptables.

I saw this article and thought was a good one: http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...with_iptables/ but you folks are telling me, if 1st rule allow, 2nd one limiting will never be applied.

I would like to use UFW only in fact, on my www server is configured that way, but UFW does not provide the limit I am looking for, just IPTABLES let me customize that (3 attempts every 60 seconds)

On my webserver (besides denyhosts) UFW was configured and is working, this way

Code:
    sudo ufw allow ssh
    sudo ufw allow www
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw enable
    Allows www traffic, let me connect via ssh, but block the rest ...
    Last edited by jocampo; September 9th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    I think it used to, but UFW in jaunty seems to leave the INPUT, OUTPUT, and FORWARD chains intact so it will not interfere with user-defined rules. However, I also suggest using /etc/ufw/before.rules so the rules are persistent and they are put in the right place.
    Thank you for that information. You are correct, UFW does not change the default INPUT OUTPUT or FORWARD tables.

I would have to look at the ufw chains though to see it simply adding a limit to INPUT would work, or if the ufw-before rules would accept ssh connections (sudo ufw allow ssh).

In general, I advise you use one or the other. Adding a few "simple" rules to ufw-before rules is what I needed to do in the past.

Beans

You can also use fail2ban and not have to deal with bruteforce attacks at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

4 year old thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12