Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best use for Ubuntu and cool features

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Best use for Ubuntu and cool features

Hey I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux and general. I'm used to using Vista. Overall my experience so far is Ubuntu is easier to learn than Vista even if you have had no experience using any Linux derivatives and lots of Windows experience.

So what are some of the best things about Ubuntu? Windows has all the drivers to play newly released games. Mac has the best graphics for Photoshop.

Good things about Ubuntu:
    1. Fast
    2. No cost, $100 dollars for windows hurts
    3. easy to learn
    4. Connected to internet right away if ethernet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Best use for Ubuntu and cool features

I agree with all those points, exept that last one, i have wireless and all i do is enter my WPA key and im good to go, so wireless is almost as easy as ethernet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

LOTS of FREE software, with no mal-ware!!!!
    easier for networking with mac's and HP printers (in my experience)!!
    Virtual Desktops!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Best use for Ubuntu and cool features

Secure

Reliable

Stable

Better Looking than other OS's

Almost infinite configuration variables

Free as in freedom

Think about how much time you save by not scanning for virus, trojan and spyware alone by using Linux.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Also, Ubuntu is much faster and less of a resource hog than both Vista and Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yep, I've got all the computers in my house running Ubuntu except my wife's laptop. I have it installed on that one but I have to wait until she finishes going through her email before I can get her weaned off Vista (the Outlook mail formats don't reliably transfer to Thunderbird or Evolution). And yeah, her main complaint with Vista is it's slow.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Beans

Mhmm, Vista would be a great OS except for its extreme need for recourses making it slow, which is what Win7 is going to fix.

Another cool thing in Ubuntu is Compiz Desktop Cube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The level to which you can customize Ubuntu is incredible, whether you run Compiz or not. And, for someone like me who is trying to learn more about computers and OSes than the typical user, Ubuntu is an educational playground. Soon I will set up some dual-boot systems for family members so they can experience what I get to use every day, without removing their more familiar Windows systems. It'll be interesting to see how many requests I get to come back and make Ubuntu the primary OS on those setups.
    Dell XPS M1330, 2GB RAM, Intel Duo-Core Processor 1.5 GHz
    Ubuntu 11.04, Win XP in Virtual Box
    Proud (but inactive) Member of the Ubuntu Manual Team
    Registered Linux User #490335 / Registered Ubuntu User #27482

Beans
    Distro

I've only been using Ubuntu for a week, and only then for basic stuff, as it's on a netbook. It plays my music, lets me write a bit of music, and does everything else, but because of my hardware, I don't think it could do much. I have yet to push it.

I happen to like Vista, aside from Explorer.exe crashing the first month I had it every time I plugged a USB drive in, but it's pretty good. I'd hold onto Windows if you're a big gamer, as WINE (the Windows compatibility layer for Unix systems, such as Linux) isn't 100% compatible, or will be in the near future. As far as easy to learn, Vista isn't all that tough, but Linux isn't hard either. It's not a matter of one's harder than the other, it's more curiosity than anything else. But, Vista, to me, was simpler, as it's a Windows OS, and it's what I'm used to. I say this as a new Linux user: a bit of curiosity, and a good memory, and you'll do fine in Linux. It's not that tough.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie4111 View Post
    Mhmm, Vista would be a great OS except for its extreme need for recourses making it slow, which is what Win7 is going to fix.

Another cool thing in Ubuntu is Compiz Desktop Cube
    What's the point of the desktop cube? I did a google image search and it made me dizzy. 3-d objects on 2-d screen don't work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast