Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install GNU Emacs with antialiasing

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install GNU Emacs with antialiasing

Neat! Everything went without a hitch...except the newly installed Emacs shows a graphical bug that causes its window not to be redrawn properly, making it unusable (although wherever text appears, it is clearly antialiased). At this point, I should embarrassingly admit that I'm still running Hoary, so I probably have no right to complain. However, has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone know more specifically what the cause might be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    Neat! Everything went without a hitch...except the newly installed Emacs shows a graphical bug that causes its window not to be redrawn properly, making it unusable (although wherever text appears, it is clearly antialiased). At this point, I should embarrassingly admit that I'm still running Hoary, so I probably have no right to complain. However, has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone know more specifically what the cause might be?
    Be embarrased...and I don't your problem on Breezy...dammit, dapper is nearly out.
    Kind Regards
    Manny C
    "We are on the road to producing a race of men too mentally modest to believe in the multiplication table." G.K. Chesterton
    --
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10, KDE 3.5.0, Kernel 2.6.12-10-386, Compaq Presario 2267ap, RLU #399975.

Beans

Hi,

Just followed through the instructions and it seemed to install ok. However when I try and run emacs I get this message:
    Code:
    emacs: Cannot open termcap database file
    Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Well I managed to fix the problem by installing 'libncurses5-dev' and then recompiling emacs however I now have another problem. When starting emacs it loads the console version. Any ideas why?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr_Smiley; February 16th, 2006 at 07:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks for the HOWTO; Emacs looks great without having to run it in console mode in an xfce4-terminal.

Is there any way to convince apt (& friends) that this is an acceptable alternative to the emacs21 packages such that one could install auctex, or other things that have emacs21 packages as dependencies? (Yes, I know there may be incompatibilities and weirdness and that it would be all my fault.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smiley
    Hi,

Just followed through the instructions and it seemed to install ok. However when I try and run emacs I get this message:
    Code:
    emacs: Cannot open termcap database file
    Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Well I managed to fix the problem by installing 'libncurses5-dev' and then recompiling emacs however I now have another problem. When starting emacs it loads the console version. Any ideas why?

Thanks.
    I had the same problem initially, and I managed to fix it (on both Breezy and Dapper). I think it just didn't configure correctly. (libncurses-dev should be irrelevant to this thread, since we want Emacs to use GTK and XFT, let alone curses )

1. First, install libgtk2.0-dev from Synaptic or apt-get.

2. If you try to follow the procedure now, it might work...but it didn't for me. Actually, make bootstrap failed, with gcc reporting syntax errors in a header file (apparently due to some un-kosher macro expansion). If this happens to you, you might try the following inelegant, hack-ish solution (read: no guarantees implied whatsoever): fire up a text editor (like gedit, if you don't have another Emacs) and open the file emacs/configure. Find the following section:
    Code:
    if test "$have_x" != yes; then
      echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: $have_x" >&5
    echo "${ECHO_T}$have_x" >&6
      no_x=yes
    else
      # If each of the values was on the command line, it overrides each guess.
      test "x$x_includes" = xNONE && x_includes=$ac_x_includes
      test "x$x_libraries" = xNONE && x_libraries=$ac_x_libraries
      # Update the cache value to reflect the command line values.
      ac_cv_have_x="have_x=yes \
    		ac_x_includes=$x_includes ac_x_libraries=$x_libraries"
      echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: libraries $x_libraries, headers $x_includes" >&5
    echo "${ECHO_T}libraries $x_libraries, headers $x_includes" >&6
    fi
    Exchange the lines "no_x=yes" and "else", so that the section looks like this:
    Code:
    if test "$have_x" != yes; then
      echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: $have_x" >&5
    echo "${ECHO_T}$have_x" >&6
    else
      no_x=yes
      # If each of the values was on the command line, it overrides each guess.
      test "x$x_includes" = xNONE && x_includes=$ac_x_includes
      test "x$x_libraries" = xNONE && x_libraries=$ac_x_libraries
      # Update the cache value to reflect the command line values.
      ac_cv_have_x="have_x=yes \
    		ac_x_includes=$x_includes ac_x_libraries=$x_libraries"
      echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: libraries $x_libraries, headers $x_includes" >&5
    echo "${ECHO_T}libraries $x_libraries, headers $x_includes" >&6
    fi
    Now repeat the compilation process, starting from the ./configure step. I don't know if it is actually a bug in the script or it is just a fluke that switching the two lines made it compile and run on my machine

3. I haven't confirmed this, but I think there is a chance that

./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-xft=yes

won't configure properly, but this:

./configure --with-gtk --with-xft

did work for me. Something else to try.

(And the display problem I reported earlier doesn't appear when compiling on Breezy and Dapper.)

Thanks you, trevorv, for this howto. Finally, antialiased Emacs!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Another (probably newbie) issue is installing additions to emacs after installation through this method. Synaptic i.e. apt-get doesn't register it as being installed because it wasn't installed via a .deb package so how to add additions? I have no clue.
    Last edited by yigal.weinstein; February 28th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua
    I don't think it has anything to do with Hoary. I'm on Dapper and have redraw problems:

Not sure what the cause is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yigal.weinstein
    Another (probably newbie) issue is installing additions to emacs after installation through this method. Synaptic i.e. apt-get doesn't register it as being installed because it wasn't installed via a .deb package so how to add additions? I have no clue.
    You can do the following to build .debs for the build. Then you can install them in a way Synaptic will understand:

Add the following to "emacs/debian/rules":
    Code:
    emacs_gtk_confflags += --with-xft=yes
    to the "Emacs-gtk confflags" section (round about line 754 of the file).

Now instead of doing "make; make install" and all that jazz do:
    Code:
    fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -nc -b
    When it's done you will have .deb files that you can install with "dpkg -i".

I got this from here (although note the additional argument to the buildpackage command)

Beans

Another way to do it, possibly easier:

Build emacs like trevorv says in the original post. But do the "configure" like this:
    Code:
    ./configure --with-gtk --with-xft --prefix=/usr
    Also do NOT do the "sudo make install" part.

Now install the emacs-snapshot packages like this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot-common
    sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot-el
    sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot-gtk
    Then copy the new binary over the one you just installed:
    Code:
    install -b emacs/src/gtk-emacs /usr/bin/emacs
    You'll have to remember to replace it each time you upgrade the snapshot, but this should work just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast