Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gens 2.12 (genesis emulator)

Re: HOWTO: Gens 2.12a (genesis emulator)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Gens 2.12 (genesis emulator)

I was able to build this in a 32-bit chroot, but for some reason it wont build AMD64 natively. Anyone know why?
    What I love about Linux: everything is just one command away. Just use && liberally.

Check out for my "blog".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

this emulator requires nasm to compile therefore it may be doing some code down on the machine code level stuff that is very arch dependant

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordBug
    Actually, they do care. Nintendo is VERY agressive about protecting their systems' ROMs. Sega isn't so much. Probably because they have no good games...
    I know you're being a smart ***, but BS. SEGA has many great games and was one of the best producers of arcade games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by chronusdark
    this emulator requires nasm to compile therefore it may be doing some code down on the machine code level stuff that is very arch dependant
    I've been trying to get it to at least compile (working would also be great), but I can't get it to work, and I haven't gotten some vague message about compatible libraries, but
    Code:
    gens_core/cpu/68k/cpu_68k.c:27: warning: initializer element is not computable at load time
    gens_core/cpu/68k/cpu_68k.c:27: error: initializer element is not constant
    gens_core/cpu/68k/cpu_68k.c:27: error: (near initialization for `M68K_Fetch[1].offset')
    gens_core/cpu/68k/cpu_68k.c:27: error: initializer element is not constant
    gens_core/cpu/68k/cpu_68k.c:27: error: (near initialization for `M68K_Fetch[1]')
    Frustrating. I've tried changing the hex values and adding some leading zeros, but I think AMD64 is less lax about something I don't know about.
    What I love about Linux: everything is just one command away. Just use && liberally.

Check out for my "blog".

Beans

Does anyone here know what extension the roms for Gens usually are?

I found a Genesis rom with the zip extension .7z, but Gens won't load it. So I assume I have the wrong file type.

Thanks.

Beans

.7z is like .zip. I don't know if linux handles 7-zip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes you'll have to unpack the 7z files, but gens does support zipped files (.zip).

The roms should be in .SMD or .BIN format if memory serves!

There is also DGen which is a pretty good genesis emulator if anyone has trouble with this - I installed it through synaptic but I think it's in universe - let me know if you need help finding.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chronusdark
    This is my first contribution to the linux community and i would like to thank cdhotfire for helping me out with this

this is a Gens deb file i have seen many people who want this so i figured i would just make it myself

just install like this
    Code:
    unzip gens.zip
    sudo dpkg -i gens_2.12a-i386.deb
    and there you go just type gens to launch or make a launcher for it

please tell me if you have any problems
    Sweet, thank you so much. I could not get the damn thing to compile, but this works like a charm!

The sound is delayed for me, the effects happen about .5 secs after the action. Any know how to fix?

Just one more issue - and its probably related to me using compiz. If I say fullscreen the window just moves to the center of the screen - it doesnt get any larger. Would really like to fullscreen it, and any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

how do i get it in the applications menu?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast