Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

The new XML file works great! There seems to be better flow inside FLS when multitasking tracks and sends. Awesome work dude! thanks again.
    "The box said 'For Windows 98 or better', So I loaded Linux"

Beans

Okay so, I've tried a lot of things, I can't seem to get this fully working... Audio is fine, most things are working well... I have some GUI glitches that keep FL Studio from being usable for me...

The FL Studio emblem png thing that appears when you normally start FL Studio is invisible, and the area where it should be hides my mouse... Certain gui elements never go away which should, like if I right-click and enter the Piano Roll, the grey 'Piano Roll' menu item never fades away... This is pretty annoying! Also for some reason I couldn't get the font smoothing to work correctly... FL Studio is the only reason why I'd boot into Windows, if I could get this working I could forget about it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SonicEther View Post
    Okay so, I've tried a lot of things, I can't seem to get this fully working... Audio is fine, most things are working well... I have some GUI glitches that keep FL Studio from being usable for me...

The FL Studio emblem png thing that appears when you normally start FL Studio is invisible, and the area where it should be hides my mouse... Certain gui elements never go away which should, like if I right-click and enter the Piano Roll, the grey 'Piano Roll' menu item never fades away... This is pretty annoying! Also for some reason I couldn't get the font smoothing to work correctly... FL Studio is the only reason why I'd boot into Windows, if I could get this working I could forget about it
    You're using the latest Wine, v1.1.33? (I hope so).
    I know that are some graphic rendering problems when using an Intel video card, but I don't think there's much we can do about it.

To be honest, FLS9 does not even "appear" on my desktop. However, FLS7 works just great. Maybe you could try FL7 to see if that changes anything.

Also, a new update was released (9.0.1), just download the installer again to get it.
    The Image-Line has also made available 9.0.3beta (on their forums), so maybe you could try that too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SonicEther View Post

Having these .dll files enables some vst software, there are free legal download sites for dll files:
    msvcsv60
    msvcp60
    msvcp71
    msvcp90
    msvcr71
    msvcr80
    msvcr90
    mfc42
    mfc71
    gdiplus
    gdi32
    I would then set your desktop to transparent, and install the Microsoft fonts, and Webcore fonts packages, should be in repos.
    I would get on the nvidia linux forum, or heavy google for the nvidia
    graphics card and chip best for linux. Buy it, or iiif on a laptop, get one with the best supported chip. Have you shut off non-essentials in the bios?
    Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    You're using the latest Wine, v1.1.33? (I hope so).
    I know that are some graphic rendering problems when using an Intel video card, but I don't think there's much we can do about it.

To be honest, FLS9 does not even "appear" on my desktop. However, FLS7 works just great. Maybe you could try FL7 to see if that changes anything.

Also, a new update was released (9.0.1), just download the installer again to get it.
    The Image-Line has also made available 9.0.3beta (on their forums), so maybe you could try that too
    Hmm... Well, to be honest, I'm a huuge FL power-user and downgrading would really hinder my productivity... I am on a dell 1420 inspiron laptop, and unfortunately I am using an integrated Intel video card... Could this be causing my problems?

Hmm, glad you pointed out the version of Wine, I was just using 1.1, though I'm a bit skeptical about a mere 0.0.33 making a huge difference. I guess I'll see how that goes.

I would then set your desktop to transparent, and install the Microsoft fonts, and Webcore fonts packages, should be in repos.
    I would get on the nvidia linux forum, or heavy google for the nvidia
    graphics card and chip best for linux. Buy it, or iiif on a laptop, get one with the best supported chip. Have you shut off non-essentials in the bios?
    Cheers
    Whoa whoa... I'm just installed Ubuntu a few days ago so I'm still pretty limp with it lol. I'll google around and figure out how to do those things you mentioned.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I know how much of a pain newbies like me can be sometimes.

EDIT: Okay so... I downloaded the latest version of Wine and things seem to be going better. My only problem is, something makes me think that my GPU is not being recognized at all. Things render very slowly (for example when I bring up the Mixer it takes about 5 seconds to draw all of the controls)... Scrolling is very choppy.. But at least everything is there now. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by SonicEther; December 3rd, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

Make sure you enable multi-core (not always enabled by default)

If you disable all the "smooth" stuff in options, some things will run a little faster.
    The splash screen can also be disabled as it is useless.

And, as far as I know, Intel and Wine always had problems, specially in 3D stuff.

Maybe we, Intel users, should still dualboot... sad thing...

Beans

@ SonicEther: Forgot to mention the .dll files go here:

/home/you/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

There is an instructions readme included when installing the Microsoft fonts,
    not having those fonts may cause wine to burn cpu preparing to use alternatives.

Wine versions are quite linear, 1.33 meaning nearly
    33 separate releases since V1.1, each one hatched when significance
    has been achieved. A lot goes into getting games and office apps
    working, but we get the benefits of more stability.

nVidia graphics have by far the most support, if a deal comes around for such
    a laptop, you might benefit in the long run.

Cheers
    Last edited by sgx; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

hey guys? i installed fl studio 9 and loaded it. the browser wasn't displaying anything, when i selected items from drop down menus the menu would kind of stick to whatever was behind it, and it if i click play.. it doesn't. won't move. can't hear anything if i try to play notes from channel settings or piano roll, either.

are there wine error logs i can dig through? somethhing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus0x1a4 View Post
    hey guys? i installed fl studio 9 and loaded it. the browser wasn't displaying anything, when i selected items from drop down menus the menu would kind of stick to whatever was behind it, and it if i click play.. it doesn't. won't move. can't hear anything if i try to play notes from channel settings or piano roll, either.

are there wine error logs i can dig through? somethhing?
    Probably something wrong about Wine's audio settings.
    Have you set the audio output, in Wine Config, to Jack?
    Is Jack running?
    Have you installed and registered WineASIO?
    Did you use the patchbay file (or connected sockets manually)?

Anyway, all these are explained in the first post. Be sure to follow the instructions closely

Beans

oh hey i went to test it again and i have sound in fl studio, and tracks play but the interface doesn't seem to update.

and if i click something on a drop down menu it kind of gets painted on the screen?

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast