Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

@falkTX - You may want to mention the "access control list" issue under Step 5. This "bug" does not affect anything critically that I am aware of (meaning you can just click OK each time it pops up). The bug is being tracked here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18071
    CPU: 80286 @ 10Mhz; FPU: n/a; RAM: 256K, HD: 20 Meg
    Graphics: Monochrome; Power Supply: 100 W; Case: Yes/Open

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billstei View Post
    @falkTX - You may want to mention the "access control list" issue under Step 5. This "bug" does not affect anything critically that I am aware of (meaning you can just click OK each time it pops up). The bug is being tracked here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18071
    Thanks for reminding me that, updated now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Haha, that's probably the best howto I've ever read. FL is the only thing that's got me booting into windows. Many many thanks dude

Does overrun a bit more than I'm accustomed to. Hopefully I can tweak the latency without resorting to a realtime kernel.

--M

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nistrum View Post
    Haha, that's probably the best howto I've ever read. FL is the only thing that's got me booting into windows. Many many thanks dude

Does overrun a bit more than I'm accustomed to. Hopefully I can tweak the latency without resorting to a realtime kernel.

--M
    The "Periods/Buffer" setting can drastically reduce overruns. Set it to "4" and check if there's any change.
    Usually 3 is enough, but it also depends on the hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    The "Periods/Buffer" setting can drastically reduce overruns. Set it to "4" and check if there's any change.
    Usually 3 is enough, but it also depends on the hardware.
    Thanks mate. I'm having a mess around with Jack at the moment. I've got it running at realtime priority which made a decent difference. Redrawing seems to be the main thing competing for CPU cycles.

Also some of the things I've changed seem to have stopped WineASIO appearing in the Jack connections list for more than a split second so looks like I've got some stuff to fix up.

If I learn anything relevant to the topic I'll post it here.

--M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nice tutorial, cheers mate

I tried this before with FL Studio 7 a good while ago, the redraw rate (try opening a particularly knobby synth) was a little lacking under Wine, but this was a good while ago. I might give this a bash tho, see how things have progressed.

I made the switch to Renoise to compensate for FL in the interim, that's a nice app too.

If I can get my head round supercollider or pd and Jack some homegrown synths in (one step at a time man). I think'll be pretty confident giving Windows the finger.

P

Beans
    Distro

It turned out that the ATI Catalyst driver was the thing chewing up all the CPU. So I've taken it off, installed the open source ATI driver and also compiled a realtime kernel (since fglrx was the only thing stopping me doing that).

I've finished up with about 20% less CPU usage playing back the demo song (on my Athlon 7850). I can't run compiz now but I've got a quicker system with a serviceable FL Studio install . Thanks again.

--Matt

Beans

Hello,
    I received this message and I followed all the steps, double checked, but I got this message when I tried to install FLS 9

"An error occurred while loading the archive.

[/tmp/flstudio_9.0_final.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/flstudio_9.0_final.exe or
    /tmp/flstudio_9.0_final.exe.zip, and cannot find /tmp/flstudio_9.0_final.exe.ZIP, period"

How can I fix this, if someone knows please help me.
    Thank you
    Nathan
    Tempe, AZ

Beans

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knew too, if you can run FLS 9 in Jaunty Jackalope rather than booting to Windoze?
    Thank you
    Nathan

Beans

Error messages in installing FL Studios in Jaunty

Hello everyone,
    In the process of trying to install FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu Jaunty (64-bit HP)
    I seem to be running into some last min. errors After I installed FLS 9
    When I open it up I get this error message:

'Couldn't create the direct sound main object'

that happens so when it opens up there is no sound when I press to play the demo?

anyone have some clues to what is taking place, and if so could you please help me out?

Thank you for your time

Nathan

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast