Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOW-TO: FL Studio 9 in Ubuntu (using Wine)

First, I wanna say thanks falkTX for this great FL recipe.
    I did everything by your 1st post, very clear instructions.

The only thing that didn't work for me is from step 8(not so important), .deb won't install(see pic).My ver of pulseaudio is 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4.2+withjack2, is that the cause, I should upgrade pulseaudio first?

FL works pretty good, but I still have a lot of those underruns, often delays, happening during playback of more complex songs, like those demo songs that load after installation of FL.
    I observed the Status window of Jack during playback and didn't see any XRUN detected, but I could clearly hear them happen.
    So is this problem in Jack at all?
    Or is it in Wine?
    If it is in Jack, should I try to set Periods/Buffer to higher value(now it is =4)? I would best like if it could be possible to set buffer size to 2048, but that FL can see it. Now it is set to 2048 in Jack, but FL sees only 1024.

But if the problem is not Jack, than I have no idea, so I am asking for some advice.
    At this moment I can't do any serious work, not to mention use of vst plugins like Amplitube or Toontrack ez drummer

I'm using Karmic, Wine 1.1.31, AMD dual-core, integrated HD sound-card.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kellahertz View Post
    Hey peep this is a great howto, i just installed Ubuntu today and i have FL9 in already

One thing i need to know is where to find realtime so i can disable it so i can enable wineasio...

Thanks again folks..
    You can find Realtime in Jack's Setup.

Beans

What do you guys think of a FL Studio in deb?

It should have pre-installed wineasio, alsa midi, and wine with special patches for less xruns.
    The mfc42 and ogg codec fix would be included too.

What do you think?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cigla View Post
    First, I wanna say thanks falkTX for this great FL recipe.
    I did everything by your 1st post, very clear instructions.

The only thing that didn't work for me is from step 8(not so important), .deb won't install(see pic).My ver of pulseaudio is 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4.2+withjack2, is that the cause, I should upgrade pulseaudio first?

FL works pretty good, but I still have a lot of those underruns, often delays, happening during playback of more complex songs, like those demo songs that load after installation of FL.
    I observed the Status window of Jack during playback and didn't see any XRUN detected, but I could clearly hear them happen.
    So is this problem in Jack at all?
    Or is it in Wine?
    If it is in Jack, should I try to set Periods/Buffer to higher value(now it is =4)? I would best like if it could be possible to set buffer size to 2048, but that FL can see it. Now it is set to 2048 in Jack, but FL sees only 1024.

But if the problem is not Jack, than I have no idea, so I am asking for some advice.
    At this moment I can't do any serious work, not to mention use of vst plugins like Amplitube or Toontrack ez drummer

I'm using Karmic, Wine 1.1.31, AMD dual-core, integrated HD sound-card.
    I never tested the pulse-jack thing in Karmic, but you can install the deb this way:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -x pulse-jack*deb /
    That will extract the deb to the root ("/") of your system, just like you were installing it.
    There are no way to uninstall it though, you'll have to do it manually if you regret install...

Beans
    Distro

I played a little more with Jack's settings to see what happens, tried many combinations, and didn't get anywhere.(At least I finally learned more about Jack)
    Then I decided to reread your 1st post, and noticed that I have skipped turning off smooth stuff in FL audio setup, guess I thought it was not so important. But I was wrong.
    Now I have much better performance of FL. Still have some underruns, but not too annoying.Good enough for preview of patterns and whole song too.
    As long as I use just Image-line plugins, everything works like described, but with plugins like ezdrummer or Amplitube, performance is bad-it can be used only for preparing drum patterns for windows installation of FL. For now. But I hope this will be inproved soon too.
    By then, I am happy with this much.
    Now I ve decided to give Ardour a chance. For me, FL, Cubase, Nuendo,..are all the same because I use just their basic functions, that can be found in any similar app. If it can use samples from those plugins I already mentioned then I have everything I need(it would be nice-but not crucial, if it could use those plugins installed through Wine, redirected through Jack).
    I'm using all these things just for making demos, there will never be a computer substitute for real RnR. So I'll better stick my fingers on guitar more than on keyboard.
    Thanks for quick reply, and I'll keep my eyes on this thread in future so we all together come to some improvements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ive got a bit of a problem on me hands. I followed the guide to installing FL studio through wine and it all worked out well. However, when I tried fiddling around with some of the effects on my 3xOsc channel, I lost all sound whatsoever, even outside of FL studio.

Here are the effects that I was using:

Fruity Reeverb
    Fruity Flanger
    Fruity Parametric EQ2

Heres the tutorial I was following.

Beans

hey everyone, new guy here trying to get fl studio running on Lucid..

I can't get past step 2, where am I supposed to be using this code?? I already have wine installed and the alsa and jack boxes checked. any help is much appreciated!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stalefist View Post
    hey everyone, new guy here trying to get fl studio running on Lucid..

I can't get past step 2, where am I supposed to be using this code?? I already have wine installed and the alsa and jack boxes checked. any help is much appreciated!
    open a terminal paste it there (menu "apps" -> "accessories" -> "terminal" (or "console"))

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    open a terminal paste it there (menu "apps" -> "accessories" -> "terminal" (or "console"))
    thanks, should i be running it as root or as a normal user??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stalefist View Post
    thanks, should i be running it as root or as a normal user??
    ALWAYS normal user for Wine stuff!

do *never* run Wine as root/sudo...
    you don't want viruses in your linux system too... dont you?

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast